• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF 2012 CMU Admissions Thread

Got an interview call. In the email it's mentioned that we can get our interviews scheduled before March 29. I am traveling for a week. Can I schedule my interview around March 20? Will the late scheduling of interviews affect my chances of selection or scholarship adversely?

Guys, for people in US, what do you recommend between on-campus Pittsburgh interview and Skype video conference? It will be nice to see the Pittsburgh campus, but I have applied to the NY campus.

Got my interview invitation yesterday. gero I am in Chicago. Getting to Pittsburg isn't that convenient, so I said I preferred Skype interview. Do you guys think it's appropriate to ask during the interview about the differences between the two campuses? I applied to the Pittsburg campus mainly because it's the main campus, but NYC has always been a great temptation for me. I heard it's possible to switch to another campus once admitted. Not sure it's true or not.

Got my interview invitation yesterday. gero I am in Chicago. Getting to Pittsburg isn't that convenient, so I said I preferred Skype interview. Do you guys think it's appropriate to ask during the interview about the differences between the two campuses? I applied to the Pittsburg campus mainly because it's the main campus, but NYC has always been a great temptation for me. I heard it's possible to switch to another campus once admitted. Not sure it's true or not.
"We will allow you the option to switch prior to matriculating, provided we have space in the other campus, but we prefer that it be done at the time of accepting the offer of admission and once you matriculate you are not allowed to switch campuses. Additionally, if you are an international student, once you have submitted all of your documents needed for the visa process, we cannot switch your campus location."

This is what they had to say about switching in a QN chat held on 8th March..

Best of the Luck!!!! I guess I know who you are... hahahaha:)

And yes, I friend of mine got switched two years ago.

Hi guys... So for those who have been through this before how important is the interview in the application process? I mean do 90% of those who get interviews receive admit letters? Also how technical do they go? I know they will ask a couple of technical questions but how difficult will they make it?
Thanks! And good luck to those who will interview please let us know how it goes :)

do you guys think there will be more interview invitation sending out? or is that all for R2?

do you guys think there will be more interview invitation sending out? or is that all for R2?

"We will be releasing our Round 2 decisions on 4/2. Interview invites have just begun to be sent out, but will continue to be sent in the coming days/weeks. An interview invitation can occur at any time in the process, up until and including the date in which we release decisions. Hang in there!"

From the MSCF chat of 8th March.

Hi guys, does anyone have any clue how many admissions will be reserved in the third round? Kinda of anxious as I am in the 3rd round. Also, any difference in the admission requirements between the 3rd round and first two rounds? Thank you.

Hi guys, does anyone have any clue how many admissions will be reserved in the third round? Kinda of anxious as I am in the 3rd round. Also, any difference in the admission requirements between the 3rd round and first two rounds? Thank you.

I think there will still be many admits in the 3rd round. According to the tracker, many admits came in May last year. And I think the admission standard is dependent on how many applications received and how many spots is still available. Every school/program has a targeted number of students.

I feel so depressed right now. I stayed up for the entire night and when I did my interview, I could bearly respond to any of the questions. I have definitely missed out on the opportunity to get into Carnegie.:(

I feel so depressed right now. I stayed up for the entire night and when I did my interview, I could bearly respond to any of the questions. I have definitely missed out on the opportunity to get into Carnegie.:(
Take it esay, dude. Maybe Rick or Gwen just thought adversely.

that's too bad. I bet Carnegie would've also been perfect for you and most likely the only way out of your matchbox office or suffocating classroom. What can you do with yourself now after knowing your life has been ruined at such young age due to one completely avoidable mistake which you're solely responsible? What will you do now when the single most critical turning point and catalyst to your fortune and identity has been ruined by mere sleep deprivation? Oh the despair, sorrow, and shame. If there's only a permanent solution to this pain as it is too hard to bear...

Or you can.... iono, chill out? There are plenty of other schools to get quality education from.

I have a couple of offers already so I am okay but I just really like carnegie but I am still praying.:)

Hey guys, this is a question for those who have been admitted to Columbia and also have a Round 2 interview with CMU. I've just been asked this by a fellow member and I don't have any good answer, so I thought I'd throw the question open to everyone here:

CMU's admission decisions will only be out on 2 Apr. However, Columbia requires us to accept or decline their offer by 30 Mar. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to go about resolving this quandary? A few options:

1) Pay the USD2,500 confirmation fee to Columbia to secure the spot first.
2) Ask Columbia for an extension.
3) Ask CMU for an early decision.
4) TAKE THE RISK. Decline Columbia's offer and be on tenterhooks for 3 days while waiting for CMU's decision.

What do you guys think? Is CMU open to releasing early decisions? (I got the distinct impression that they don't.) Will Columbia look kindly on students who ask for an extension? (I doubt that as well.)

All are welcome to give us some suggestions!

Hey guys, this is a question for those who have been admitted to Columbia and also have a Round 2 interview with CMU. I've just been asked this by a fellow member and I don't have any good answer, so I thought I'd throw the question open to everyone here:

CMU's admission decisions will only be out on 2 Apr. However, Columbia requires us to accept or decline their offer by 30 Mar. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to go about resolving this quandary? A few options:

1) Pay the USD2,500 confirmation fee to Columbia to secure the spot first.
2) Ask Columbia for an extension.
3) Ask CMU for an early decision.
4) TAKE THE RISK. Decline Columbia's offer and be on tenterhooks for 3 days while waiting for CMU's decision.

What do you guys think? Is CMU open to releasing early decisions? (I got the distinct impression that they don't.) Will Columbia look kindly on students who ask for an extension? (I doubt that as well.)

All are welcome to give us some suggestions!

I disagree... I think both Columbia and CMU will be quite lenient with their policy. You can probably use the fact that you got into Columbia as leverage of getting into CMU.

Remember that this is a business and that both CMU and Columbia want you to be a student if you are good enough.

Back