• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF 2012 CMU Admissions Thread

Tepper-Gwen:
@Shuo - Unfortunately no, we do not release decisions earlier. We make our application deadlines and notifications very public and we stick to those deadlines. It does take us some time to do a thorough review of applications and want to make sure we do our due diligence in reviewing all applications. I would recommend asking for an extension from other programs. This is a common request that we receive and I know one that I am generally willing to work with students to accommodate.

QN chat

darth, do you just keep track of all the past chat responses? I mean it's kinda cool but.... also a bit scary

No...dun wry :) Its just that I happen to attend this chat and due to my nature of work, over the years I have developed a photographic memory :) ... Btw I did not understand the scary part

darth I don't remember the last time I save a chat and being able to recite it... and what kind work DEVELOPS a photographic memory? man I need to get on that!

Hello Gwen/AdCom/Forum members,

I am applying for part time MSCF in NY, Fall 2012. I know that the R4 deadline is Apr 23rd and I am trying my best to finish my application by then. I have recommender's invitation sent out and have started working on the essays. I was wondering if you know what chance do I stand to get into the part time program so late in the process ( below are my credentials ) and also if you have any pointers on the application process. Really appreciate your time and assistance

GMAT - 710 ( Q: 49, V: 37 )
Undergrad GPA - ~3.85 ( equivalent of 70% in India )
Masters in Computer Science - GPA 3.9 ( SUNY Binghamton )
Work Ex: Total 7.4 yrs - 6 yrs in Goldman Sachs - Interest Rate Product trading technology.

Thanks
An Eager Candidate

had my interview today... it wasn't exactly a laid back relaxed chat, there was no math, but Gwen asked some interesting behavioral questions that reminded me of my job interviews, and the appointment lasted more than 30 minutes... i'm guessing this year the "interview = 90% admit" rule is no longer in effect

had my interview today... it wasn't exactly a laid back relaxed chat, there was no math, but Gwen asked some interesting behavioral questions that reminded me of my job interviews, and the appointment lasted more than 30 minutes... i'm guessing this year the "interview = 90% admit" rule is no longer in effect
that's because your interviewer is Gwen.... haha

so what's the difference between her and Rick... actually isn't Rick more senior and so should be stricter?

either way, Gwen was pretty cool, she made the conversation as interesting and laid back as possible, despite her asking the un-orthodox questions she asked... and i am certain the yes/no decision will come jointly from both her and Rick

jianpu did you apply for CMU? did you do you interview with Rick? how was it if so?

alright round 2 applicants!! less than 24 hours and we know our results! i hope you had a great weekend!

Back