• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

What's the housing situation like for Columbia MFE and MSOR? Do they offer student housing or are you on your own?
They do offer student housing, but if what I read on other forums is correct, the student housing is mostly allocated to PhD students. We'll do well to look for our own accommodation off-campus. Craigslist is a start. We should probably also start a group or something so people can find housemates.

They do offer student housing, but if what I read on other forums is correct, the student housing is mostly allocated to PhD students. We'll do well to look for our own accommodation off-campus. Craigslist is a start. We should probably also start a group or something so people can find housemates.
Hello, This is my first post in quantnet and I thank Andy for creating such a useful forum for all the prospective MFE students.
I got admit from Columbia MFE and am also looking for housing in NY. I think we can discuss about housing in a separate thread dedicated only for admitted columbia MFE/MSOR students or we can start a group in facebook. What say?

Hello, This is my first post in quantnet and I thank Andy for creating such a useful forum for all the prospective MFE students.
I got admit from Columbia MFE and am also looking for housing in NY. I think we can discuss about housing in a separate thread dedicated only for admitted columbia MFE/MSOR students or we can start a group in facebook. What say?
Thank you, SMD, and welcome to QuantNet.
I think it's a great idea to discuss housing here. I'd add that we can ask students admitted to NYU/Baruch/CMU(NYC) to join in as well, since we're all looking for housing in largely the same area. Rooming with someone attending a different program will help us to exchange information about the different programs, right in our own homes.

Thank you, SMD, and welcome to QuantNet.
I think it's a great idea to discuss housing here. I'd add that we can ask students admitted to NYU/Baruch/CMU(NYC) to join in as well, since we're all looking for housing in largely the same area. Rooming with someone attending a different program will help us to exchange information about the different programs, right in our own homes.

hi remylbeau, i have also been admitted to Columbia MSFE. i think its a great idea to have housing with students belonging to different programs, it will definitely help us in terms of sharing resources and information.

Where do you guys plan to live? University Apartment Housing, International House, of Off-Campus?

I'm trying to get into International House. Seems like a cool experience.

Is there any Facebook group for Columbia MFE students entering this summer? Would be great opportunity to network before we start and could also be a platform for housing discussions.

hey guys, i am in no mood to spoil the party but i am kinda having second thoughts about the program. when i got admitted i was very excited but as a interact with more people who are pursuing the program and who have passed out, i am getting very mixed reviews. i have come to know that some students are even struggling to find a decent internship. i have already made the deposit and now am in great dilemma, please someone help me out,,,

hey guys, i am in no mood to spoil the party but i am kinda having second thoughts about the program. when i got admitted i was very excited but as a interact with more people who are pursuing the program and who have passed out, i am getting very mixed reviews. i have come to know that some students are even struggling to find a decent internship. i have already made the deposit and now am in great dilemma, please someone help me out,,,
Hi coolsnap, are you talking about msfe at columbia?? can you please share what you have heard to the rest of us please? I think a lot of people here are interested in that since the program seems to hide a lot of information especially employment info from us.

Columbia IEOR dept obviously can do a much better job when it comes to providing relevant information. It's clear that placement info is the most crucial piece of data that every applicant wants to know.
Until they can account for every single one of their graduate's whereabouts, there will always be lot of rumor about bad placement, specially in a large program like Columbia MFE.

I'm sure applicants will continue to ask the program to provide a more detailed, accurate report of their internship and full-time job. Saying X% received job offer is not enough when competing programs provide a much more comprehensive placement stats. Brand-name may attract more applicants but does not always translate into 100% placement in desired jobs which is the ultimate goal for many people obtaining this degree.

Talking as a fellow Columbia admit student.

I find this placement and job discussions sometimes a little bit absurd. Sure we are paying a lot of money for the education and it is supposed to be professional degree and all that, that can be debated but this is how American education system has come to whether we like it or not.

But when in your life are going to take responsibility for your own faith? You clearly have the self confidence to put your self out there and apply for one of the most competitive programs out there and succeeded, nota bene. The same applies to the job seeking, it won´t just come up in your hand. You will have to work for it and sell yourself. If you believe that you have to capabilities to develop the necessary skill set to work in this industry, I don´t see why you should be worried beforehand. Some will succeed and some will not, that just life and if you couldn´t tell yourself that before applying, your statistics background must be not that good.

I my opinion it would really wrong if a brand-name would translate into 100% placement, the school can only teach that much, the rest is up to you and how you play it.

At the end of the day it is all about you, so have some courage to seek out your dream career. It would not be fun if it were easy and everybody could succeed in it.

Columbia IEOR dept obviously can do a much better job when it comes to providing relevant information. It's clear that placement info is the most crucial piece of data that every applicant wants to know.
Until they can account for every single one of their graduate's whereabouts, there will always be lot of rumor about bad placement, specially in a large program like Columbia MFE.

I'm sure applicants will continue to ask the program to provide a more detailed, accurate report of their internship and full-time job. Saying X% received job offer is not enough when competing programs provide a much more comprehensive placement stats. Brand-name may attract more applicants but does not always translate into 100% placement in desired jobs which is the ultimate goal for many people obtaining this degree.
Thank you for your reply Andy..do you know any columbia mfe alumina or current students here in this forum?

Hi ,
I made an inadvertent mistake in Personal Statement submitted under the section of Required Documents. In my SOP, I mistakenly happen to mention the name of another University, in which I have applied prior to Columbia. Is there a slightest possibility that I may get a call from Columbia ?
I've seen some applicants carelessly mention another program in their SOP and get rejected. Maybe you can find out if you can update/replace that SOP before they process your application.
I always try to advise people to customize their application, not merely making a common template and use it to apply to all program, after changing the name. Mistakes like this can be avoided.

Back