• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

Any one received a follow up mail to the Admit offer? When is the last date for confirming the admit?

I applied to the MSOR program directly. I Still haven't heard anything from them. NO interview, no nothing. Just Pending. But I received an email saying that they will try to make all the decisions by March 30th. Anyone else in the same situation?

It feels good that I am not the only one in this situation.
Very tense situation.
When is the last date to accept the MSOR offer for the people who have been redirected from MFE?

I did check the MSE option. At this stage anything from Columbia would be good but I would really love the MSOR. Have they started giving out admits for MSE?
Which concentration at MSOR are you looking at?

What is the acceptance deposit fee for MFE? Any idea if it would be same for MSOR?

ruruouni: Great memory. Yes I interviewed for CMU. Since Columbia's deadline comes before I've heard from either CMU or NYU, I figure I can pay USD2,500 for an option. That's Option Pricing 101 for me!

Lol it sucks that Columbia won't extend their deadline. Do you have a top preference ? For me its CMU, but after my interview, I am trying not to get my hopes up :(

Lol it sucks that Columbia won't extend their deadline. Do you have a top preference ? For me its CMU, but after my interview, I am trying not to get my hopes up :(
Keep your expectations low, but hopes up. ;)

My top choice is actually NYU. My background is in math, and whatever programming I know was only picked up as a by-product of the math. So being a student of the top-ranked applied math department in the country appeals to me. Very irrational, really.

But I take the oft-repeated point that my eventual career is much more a function of my abilities than of the program I attend. Hence I won't be crying too hard over not going to NYU, and will try to make the best of what Columbia offers.

How about you? You didn't apply to Columbia did you? It's CMU or Chicago?

What's the housing situation like for Columbia MFE and MSOR? Do they offer student housing or are you on your own?

What's the housing situation like for Columbia MFE and MSOR? Do they offer student housing or are you on your own?

I asked them and they told me that the application would start in April. I would go with university residence, because it was a nightmare for me to find a place in NYC last time.

I asked them and they told me that the application would start in April. I would go with university residence, because it was a nightmare for me to find a place in NYC last time.

Yea I'd prefer to live in student housing. The FAQ on Columbia's website says "While not guaranteed, all admitted PhD students have been offered housing in the past." Not sure what that means for MS students.

Back