• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

Hi~I majored in financial mathematics(math school) in undergraduate study, GPA 89.1/100, GRE 750+590, 2 internship. Actually, the day after I have been rejected, I knew someone who got the chance for interview with a profile that GPA 78/100, GRE about 1200. So, I think these may not really make sense, just have a try.

what was the persons GRE quant score? Maybe he/she had 800+400. Also i am surprised that after doing Bachelors in Fin Math your quant score is just 750.

what was the persons GRE quant score? Maybe he/she had 800+400. Also i am surprised that after doing Bachelors in Fin Math your quant score is just 750.
Yeah, she has retake the GRE with a Quant score 800 and Verbal 310..
I might be rejected because of the quant score. In that part, I made some stupid mistakes since I feel quite nervous. I used to hope that my GPA on math course would make up for that, but unfortunately they seems to review each part separately and rigorously.

hope Columbia University gives you better result. Also the acceptance rate of Baruch is very low so you could have expected that

Yeah, thank you ~~
I think Baruch's taste is very speacial, I have also been rejected directly with GPA 88.5/100, GRE 800+650, equity research + trading intern, Finance major(plus some advanced math courses). I learned from the CD forum that a statistics PhD applicant was also rejected. However, a business undergraduate from Shanghai University of Finance and Economics reported an interview, though he or she even failed to answer the C++ questions in the inverview.(Actually, he or she mentions that he has barely programmming knowledge, if any, from self-study)

I think Baruch's taste is very speacial, I have also been rejected directly with GPA 88.5/100, GRE 800+650, equity research + trading intern, Finance major(plus some advanced math courses). I learned from the CD forum that a statistics PhD applicant was also rejected. However, a business undergraduate from Shanghai University of Finance and Economics reported an interview, though he or she even failed to answer the C++ problems in the inverview.(Actually, he or she mentions that he has barely programmming knowledge, if any, from self-study)

Ho, wired taste indeed~You have a strong ground, wish you good luck for the rest of the programs~;)

Hi~I majored in financial mathematics(math school) in undergraduate study, GPA 89.1/100, GRE 750+590, 2 internship. Actually, the day after I have been rejected, I knew someone who got the chance for interview with a profile that GPA 78/100, GRE about 1200. So, I think these may not really make sense, just have a try.
Thank you :) I l give a try :)

What is the average acceptance rate for Columbia MFE and MSOR programs ? Also is the MSOR program a next-best alternative to the MFE program..is it relevant enough for quant finance disciplines / trading, quants, structuring roles ?

I was wondering too. How on earth could a display of Indian Tricolor be offensive to anybody.

darth, Faisal

it has nothing to do with the indian tricolor. it has everything to do with the history and context of the photograph. if you don't know the history behind it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Iwo_Jima. i should imagine that should be enough to explain why the altered photograph is, at best, disrespectful.

bansalmohit

"dumb"? seriously? you would also do well to read the link above. think long and hard about it, and please stop projecting.

mfegrad

If you are taking offence with the fact that the Stars and Stripes have been naively replaced by the Tricolor, you are perfectly justified. Specially with the sacrifices of American soldiers involved. My apologies.

mfegrad

If you are taking offence with the fact that the Stars and Stripes have been naively replaced by the Tricolor, you are perfectly justified. Specially with the sacrifices of American soldiers involved. My apologies.

bingo, faisal. i'm quite pro-india, but i had relatives wounded in the pacific theater. and no worries. all is good. you didn't call me dumb ;)

bingo, faisal. i'm quite pro-india, but i had relatives wounded in the pacific theater. and no worries. all is good. you didn't call me dumb ;)
I have seen this movie ... Battle of Iwo Jima... But I guess you got it wrong... This icon depicts an Important event during India's struggle for Independence when these people fell to british bullets but did not let the tricolor fall....

Does anyone know when they'll be sending out their admissions decisions this year?

Does anyone know when they'll be sending out their admissions decisions this year?

From the tracker it seems that last year the interviews were conducted from the 8th of February until the 1st of March. I would therefor probably assume that the interview invitations will be sent out beginning the 4th and until the 26th or so?

Anyone who get an email from Columbia?? I am still waiting but I suppose that in a few days we have to get an answer.

Anyone who get an email from Columbia?? I am still waiting but I suppose that in a few days we have to get an answer.
me either. I haven't heard from columbia after the submission confirmation. any one knows usually when they will release the final decision?

Back