• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

they ask you to call today and you will call next week???
they send me an email at 12:02 pm, and they are available from NOW to 1:00 ET. I don't think have such a rush interview will help my application. Also, they said in the email that there will be other time slots available next week. Therefore, I'd rather be prepared.

I also received that e-mail. But I am in a class now. Think I will call them the next week

I think it is not a mistake. They finish their scheduled interviews earlier than they expected. And they just want more work done now.

I am just worried that everyone received this email due to some mistakes....

The interviews appear to be 5 minutes and are 3 simple questions. I think they just want to gauge interest. If that is the case, the only way to fail the interview is to not call them back.

I just finished. Same old three questions as last year. Apparently the interviewer is an Indian student.

A funny thing is: I tried 5 times before getting connected a non-busy line. Assuming a rate of line-occupation of 50%, each interview lasting 6 minutes, and given we have a 4-hour session and 6 lines in total, then Columbia is conducting 120 interviews today. Even this conservatively estimated number is problematic: it is hard to believe that all of them are almost guaranteed admission just by virtue of receiving interview request.

I would venture to say at most 60% of those interviewees (70+) in Round 2 will finally get admitted. Otherwise even a relatively low 60% yield rate will make the class crowded.

Those who would say "interview=admission" please enlighten me.

Did you call them? I replied them an email that I want to have my interview the next week. Wonder whether I should give them a call.
Nope. I did not have anything in my head at then. I will get ready this weekend and then call them

I just finished. Same old three questions as last year. Apparently the interviewer is an Indian student.

A funny thing is: I tried 5 times before getting connected a non-busy line. Assuming a rate of line-occupation of 50%, each interview lasting 6 minutes, and given we have a 4-hour session and 6 lines in total, then Columbia is conducting 120 interviews today. Even this conservatively estimated number is problematic: it is hard to believe that all of them are almost guaranteed admission just by virtue of receiving interview request.

I would venture to say at most 60% of those interviewees (70+) in Round 2 will finally get admitted. Otherwise even a relatively low 60% yield rate will make the class crowded.

Those who would say "interview=admission" please enlighten me.
But it is really hard to test anything in this interview.

I saw on a chinese forum that some people were asked on technical questions. But those are very simple questions.

But it is really hard to test anything in this interview.

I totally agree. On a very related note, I think this interview is totally pointless: interviewees definitely say what interviewers want to hear. The time of 100+ people has been wasted.

so does no interview invitation yet probably mean rejection? I honestly wouldn't mind getting redirected to MSOR...

so does no interview invitation yet probably mean rejection? I honestly wouldn't mind getting redirected to MSOR...

At least an interview invitation couldn't possibly mean rejection. I am checking my mail like 100 times a day. Don't mind MSOR either.

Looks like Columbia is sending out invitations to the top candidates and see if they are positive about enrolling after being admitted...and the rest of the spots are given to the sort of "wait listed" second tier candidates...am I right?
Nothing reaches me yet so far...which makes me really anxious and upset..not sure if I can still count on getting the interview next week

Looks like Columbia is sending out invitations to the top candidates and see if they are positive about enrolling after being admitted...and the rest of the spots are given to the sort of "wait listed" second tier candidates...am I right?
Nothing reaches me yet so far...which makes me really anxious and upset..not sure if I can still count on getting the interview next week

If that is the case, I wouldn't be quite optimistic about the number of such "remaining spots". I have seen many who got the invitation and it is not likely that they say no.

Back