• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

That works out really for you in the end, doesn't it?
It is statically proven that putting your applications on our Tracker is a goodluck charm.
709 of the current 1588 applications there has an Admit status, a 44.7% admit rate. How can you beat that?
Programs love to see more applicants use the Tracker. That gives them more visibility specially if they can crack the top tracked programs list. It's well-known that people are more likely to apply to additional programs if they see a lot of other applicants do.

I see what you did there...... =O

709 of the current 1588 applications there has an Admit status, a 44.7% admit rate. How can you beat that?

Don't tell anybody you were not admitted :).

I have seen at least several people who said they were applying to some program, but added their profiles only with programs they were admitted to. I guess not everyone likes to admit they failed at something, but I am sure most will tell (and most likely not once) if they have not... So tracker is biased to one result.

I also see people deleted their cases once they received a reject.
With existing option to make your cases anonymous, there is no reason to do that. It does not make you feel better or change the fact and it does not help the hundreds and thousands of applicants each year who use our Tracker to guide their application process.

I talked to a career coach last night and she mentioned that admitting failure is seen as a sign of strength and confidence. I guess in some cultures, it's taboo to talk about failure. But this is America.

Hello. I am a new member.

I tried to update the tracker when I got into MFE, but the verifying process was a little bit confusing... Anyways, I already updated the tracker. This forum is very helpful. I read the 2011 thread to learn how to prepare for the interview. The guy who interviewed me was also from Texas, but besides the normal 3 questions (why Columbia MFE, chance to come, how to finance), he also asked if I have read any books about long term asset management....

I have a quick question: does anyone by any chance know approximately how many students are admitted to MFE this year? Andy maybe you can help me on this.

Thank you very much.

Hello. I am a new member.

I tried to update the tracker when I got into MFE, but the verifying process was a little bit confusing... Anyways, I already updated the tracker. This forum is very helpful. I read the 2011 thread to learn how to prepare for the interview. The guy who interviewed me was also from Texas, but besides the normal 3 questions (why Columbia MFE, chance to come, how to finance), he also asked if I have read any books about long term asset management....

I have a quick question: does anyone by any chance know approximately how many students are admitted to MFE this year? Andy maybe you can help me on this.

Thank you very much.
Approximately 120 AD.

I've just got an interview too. I have contacted them yesterday, because I had no news, and they told me to call them. I've just received an email saying I'm admitted!

here is what an admission email looks like, for those who got notified by application website but have not received an eamil yet.

We look forward to meeting you during orientation, which begins on July 2, 2012. In the next week you will receive instructions on how to secure your space in the class via email, which will be followed by information about housing, applying for a visa, etc. If you do not receive this notification within two weeks, please email seasgradmit@columbia.edu. In the meantime, feel free to contact our Admissions Coordinator Adina Brooks at (212) 854-1934, or email adina@ieor.columbia.edu with any questions you may have.

Has anyone received the follow-up email containing the admission package yet?

So you mean some people had their decisions reversed, after being rejected?

So you mean some people had their decisions reversed, after being rejected?
no, i never received any formal communication from Columbia. rejection was only speculation since i had received no interview invite when the bulk of the candidates did. Did you received anything from them yet?

Yeah they were late in my decision, so i sent Adina an email asking when will the decision come out, they replied on March 5 with a rejection. Anyone else got a rejection that late, could it be because i asked them for the decision?

Back