• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin 2012 MIT MFin Admissions

Hello everybody,
just wanted to open the round for people who received an offer from MIT for the MFin program starting in 2012. Please share your profile and thoughts on whether to enroll or choose another program.

My profile:
Finance Undergrad GPA 3.97
GMAT 730 (Q48, V42)
Work experience through internships ranging 2-6 months in Consulting (small firm), Audit (Big 4), Venture Capital (small firm Silicon Valley) and Private Equity (Frankfurt fund of a big BB)

I was really surprised by the offer as my Quant GMAT is not really strong and my maths background is much weaker than those of the typical applicant I guess.

Who else?

Congrats Sarah,
I think your profile fits what MIT MFin is looking for. They are doing all they can to appeal to a wider applicant pool and make clear that they do not want to be perceived as an MFE program because they are not. So the quant score is not as crucial admission factor as other MFE programs put the weight on.
You certainly can avoid the hardcore math course at MIT while Stochastic Calculus is the required course for first semester in most other MFE program.
Take a look at our wiki [wiki]mit-mfin[/wiki]

Thanks Andy,
yes MIT really is more general in comparison to the MFE programs - I did not apply to any of those as I am not looking for a quant degree bur rather a career in VC/PE. Still really surprised about the offer but excited as well and now looking into how to raise the money to pay the very high tuition.

3.87 GPA, Economics-Finance major
GMAT 760 (Q50, V44)
No relevant work experience

I'll be attending.

Hi,

I too got admit for Class of 2013...
My profile:
Engineering Undergrad from IIT Roorkee (GPA 8.24/10)
GMAT 710 (Q51, V35)
CFA Level 2
1 year worked in energy sector
2 years with an Investment bank in Interest rate, FX structuring

I will be attending. Whoever is joining, please post your profile...so we can know each other..:)

How heavy a math background does one need to get into MIT's or Princeton's Mfin program? I have a undergrad degree in finance and will start trading at a prop shop in Chicago next summer. I was planning on taking math courses at night at Northwestern to bolster my math background. Do you think this is necessary for these programs or is a high quant gre satisfactory?

Any idea how many offers went out in the first round? Also, is there a deadline to reply to MIT if you get an offer?

I'll be applying in round 2.

There are 52 people listed in the Class of 2013 directory, but I can't say if that's everyone accepted. The deadline to accept is March 16, I think for both round I and round II applicants.

Congrats on your admission,

Every student in the M.Fin. program at MIT in fact does learn stochastic calculus during the first semester. Most students actually have quite the mathematical background but some of them don't want qaunt roles and want to be in the bigger part of the picture (conversely, some pursue quant roles). The difference with MIT is you can continue to take very technical courses (if desired) and customize the program to fit your career path.

Back