• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2012 Resolution: Start Coding Again

Came across this post from Fred Wilson's blog. When you see business people such as Fred Wilson starts to get back to coding himself, you know you are not going to find a job if you don't know how to code.

Code Academy makes it very easy to commit so there is no excuse now. Give them your email address and they mail email you an interactive lesson once a week.
http://codeyear.com/

49,215 people have decided to learn to code in 2012.

Andy,
That's a lot :D

These comments are too funny not to share
"If you want to invest two years in something that will help you, you would do better to learn how to hack than get an MBA" Paul Graham, Founder, Y Combinator
"A young man asked me for advice for 'those who aren't technical.' I said he should try to get technical" - Fred Wilson, Partner, Union Square Ventures

How useful is Ruby? I saw one of my friends working on one of the lessons on Code Academy and the material seems super-basic.

Code Academy isn't exactly the type that will train you to code for Wall Street. They mostly gear toward the app/web/tech entrepreneur types who got big idea and want to make a prototype out of it. Their main draw is the list of very prominent mentors that you can work with for idea, support, advice.

Think of it as a support group for the next Facebook/Groupon/Google types ;)

I signed up for the e-mails because it sounded like an interesting concept. I am not sure how actively I'll participate as I am new to programming (only basic VBA for Excel knowledge) and will be taking a Java class this spring and hopefully the Quantnet C++ course in the near future. I think trying to learn another language might be biting off a bit more than I can chew at this point.

I've signed up as well. Wouldn't it be nice, If they teach C++. or what if we create a group in quantnet and study together (c++). I would love to have test drive. What do you guys think?

Does the world really need more HTML, Javascript and CSS programmers? I don't think so.

We need more people who understand numerical methods, algorithms and FORTRAN/C/C++.

Back