• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2016 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantNet

Staff member
NEW YORK, October 6th, 2015 – QuantNet today released its 4th rankings, selecting the Best 30 Master Programs in Financial Engineering, Mathematical Finance, Quantitative Finance in North America.

QuantNet surveyed programs administrators, hiring managers, corporate recruiters, and finance professionals to get the information used in the 2016 rankings.

In additional to the top 30 rankings, this year we rank the top 10 programs with the best employment outcomes and the 3 most improved programs.

2015-QUANTNET-RANKING-TOP-30-BADGE.png

2016 Quantnet Ranking of MFE programs

Could anyone please introduce Stanford's ICME program? It is strange that ICME is not in the new ranking, given its admission rate is almost as low as Princeton's

Last edited:
Go Baruch!

Applying to Waterloo soon. So glad that two Canadian schools made onto the list.

The new MCF track was just substituted for Stanford's former FinMath program one or two years ago. Stanford's FinMath is in 2011-2012 ranking

The Stanford program looks great. Way more computer science focused than a lot of the other ones on this list, which I personally think is a great direction to go with. I think it wasn't on it because it just started in 2014. Hopefully we'll see it on the list next time.

Here's a question...if we were to partition the rankings into Tiers (Tier 1, Tier 2, etc), which programs would for sure be in Tier 1? Which programs would be arguably in Tier 1?

Here's a question...if we were to partition the rankings into Tiers (Tier 1, Tier 2, etc), which programs would for sure be in Tier 1? Which programs would be arguably in Tier 1?
In my opinion, Columbia's MAFN is quite special. Programs ranking higher than it should be in Tier 1 while those ranking lower than it but still in top 10 should be in Tier 2. In this case, Columbia's MAFN has to be in Tier 1.5

I might be biased here but Baruch isn't on the same level as UCB, this has been discussed over and over on this site. CMU and UCB maybe. The stats speak for themselves.

What Lobbying. Georgia Tech and Urbana Champaign lagging behind, despite doing immensely well and critically acclaimed by alums in the last two years.

Especially Georgia Tech dropping 6 ranks in the last two years. Not even possible, having done some fabulous work with placements in the last 2 years.

Also hope you understand that 80000$ in ATL(Atlanta) , ORD(Chicago) is around 100,000$ in NYC.

Very Biased. Hope you correct it soon.

Assuming you are talking about starting salaries, your argument in my opinion is very flawed. How do you know where people from GTech and Chicago are now currently working? They are not obliged to work where they studied.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Columbia's MAFN is quite special. Programs ranking higher than it should be in Tier 1 while those ranking lower than it but still in top 10 should be in Tier 2. In this case, Columbia's MAFN has to be in Tier 1.5
I agree. I wonder why MIT drop this year to similar scores of Chicago and Toronto?

Anyone knows if the stats are published somewhere? I was looking for NYU's placement record, but the old profile page only tally up to 2013..

I agree. I wonder why MIT drop this year to similar scores of Chicago and Toronto?
I know someone from the mit program. he says it's more like an mba program than a quant one....it's probably a top program but just not in the quant space.

I am quite surprised that Georgia Tech's QCF dropped this much in the ranking. As far as I known, the full time employed rate (98%) and the internship rate (100%) is improved tremendously from last year, which you can check from their website.

Could quantnet publish their data for calculating the ranking? I think it's will be more convincing!

CMU now $80,000! Up up and away!
How about a roi rank projected onto different scenarios come graduation year?

Rankings are good for those people who like that sort of thing - its a choice to decide based on that like any other.

Rely on strong careers service/alumni network at a college about as far away from the action as you can get, or pitch your tent next to Wall Street and try to get lucky?
Two different approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back