• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE 2nd Interview

Yesterday, I had a nice 15-min phone interview with Pro Stefanica. Since I'm a mathematics and finance background student, Dan firstly cared about my programming skills. Then came some advanced derivatives questions, including interest rate swap, futures etc. At last, I shared my career goals and strong interests on Baruch MFE with Dan. The only thing disappointed me was that the fruit juicer in the cafe kept working during the talk...

No matter what the final result will be, I feel grateful and delighted these days applying for my dream Baruch MFE program. Thanks Pro. Stefanica, Pro. Wang, Miriam, Cathy, Ms Zhou, etc. for your time and help. dstefan Baruch.MFE

Congrats. Interesting that they had a technical interview- that's quite uncommon for graduate admissions at most schools.

Congrats. Interesting that they had a technical interview- that's quite uncommon for graduate admissions at most schools.

Not quite uncommon for MFE programs I guess. There seem to be multiple technical rounds going on at UCB too as far as I know.

@gongzhike.david the following questions have been asked previously in Baruch MFE interviews from chasedream.com to give prospective applicants an idea (hope it helps) :

kappa finance

put-call parity

black and scholes pde

· Calculus: differentiate x^x, integrate lnx, Taylor Polynomial(one variable & multivariable)

· Linear Algebra: Explain eigenvalue, eigenvector, trace

· Statistics: pdf of exponential and normal distribution, mean, integrate normal density function from 0 to infinity(= 0.5...),
how the cum density function of normal distribution would come up to 1(别人被问到的,面经里也有)

· Finance: Black-Sholes model and its weakness, value at risk, interest rate swap and how to value it, put-call parity

· 还有一个brain teaser question.

Bond yield? The concept of how to calculate?
The relationship between the option price and the stock price is kind of how that δ, anyway, do not understand

What is encapsulation and polymorphism ... I do not know ...OOP

· Taylor Polynomial, how to use it in one variable and multi-variables

· Probability: X~N(0,1), Y=X^2, pdf of Y

1. integral lnx/x
  2. integral x^x^2
  3. pdf for normal distribution and exponential distribution. sigma and miu for normal and standard normal distribution.
  4. put call parity.
  5. Taylor polynomial 2nd order f(x,y)=xsinx
  6. a european option is 5 dollars. how about americcan option with same strike price and maturity.
The value of the option formula max {(K-S), 0} Shasha's
7 Call Put Parity, how arbitrage
8 option prices binomial model, how arbitrage, how to count the delta (lz in delta count Yuncai the been brooding after the interview, after the end I told Jim that I know the the BS formulas delta how to count, and then Jim teachers patience to explain it to me, and maybe not the same thing, blabla ...... amount I sb)

Q5 wood have to do it, Tai-Ho teacher was very generous and gave me the a probability title:

9 box two coins, a fair, a biased (70% likelihood of head) at random from the box to take a coin throwing three are heads asked Fourth probability of throwing or head (lz Then answer Wong The teacher immediately asked is how to get out, Jim is, ah yes, then do not ask, do a I do not know my questions do not do ...)

Solving differential equations. y '+ x y = 1
Speak exponential distribution, the mean is 2 when, say exponential distribution
If x, y independent and exponentially distributed, if x / (x + y) C + + problem. Structure and class distinction
interest swap definition, I said the example of fixed interest floating interest What he said is the swap rate, I have not heard of this. . I said two difference does not seem to listen to his response. . .
wiki look: Swap rate is the fixed rate that makes the market value of a given swap at initiation zero.
A binary tree, the initial value is 10, 20 and 5 respectively become a probability of 0.5, Risk-free Rate is 0. Seeking the price of the call option

Bayes rule of conditional probability

Binomial option pricing – calculate risk neutral probability and option price question

Calculate Eigen values of a simple 3x3 matrix

Assumptions and limitations of Black and Scholes

Linear algebra – cholesky decomposition – LU decomposition

Back