• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

3rd year mid-sized HF quant vs junior BB structurer (seek multi-asset PM long term)

Hello Quantnet,

You are my trusted forum for career advice. I've been given a rather unique situation and would like some direction.

Currently, I'm in my 3rd year in a 0.5b boutique hedge fund. It is my first job out of college and I knew then I wanted to go to quant trading. In a few words, I'll say things are stable, quite lucrative but quiet, little networking and no formal training. As with most boutique HFs, the PM would task me to create a strat with an overall theme. Then in a month, in isolation, I'll have to read 10 academic papers, download the data, code and backtest. Environment is friendly, fun and of love.

My estimates would say by year end, the following is likely - My salary cracks US$120k, I got 2mil allocation to my strats, my colleagues like me more. BUT ... I probably stay trading spot FX and not be exposed to other assets, which tbh, I want to be. I'm not sure what the PM will say when I go up to him and say, I don't have banking strats experience, but I got this options straddle strategy. Can we change our fund mandate?

Now, I just got an offer for a juniour FX and Commodities structurer offer at a sub top 5 BB. (Not GS, MS or JPM). There'll be less programming, less quant skills but you get to thoroughly know and create the products. I know for sure that my product knowledge will increase, obviously, but salary has less upside. And I'm a step away from the market. Though I sense that the switch from structuring to trading is natural.

I actually would like a period of 2 years just familiarizing myself with options ONLY if it's valuable for running multi-asset portfolio. (Megafunds PMs can chime in?)

Should I go? My end goal is to be a PM running a portfolio of half a billion. BB will give me product knowledge and create the following path - small HF -> Structuring (2y) -> BB strats (3y) -> PM at megafund trading a whole range of products. (Yippie!)

Staying in my HF could pave a track record of increasing AUM, starting with a modest 2mil. :(

Sincerely Yours,
Phil

You want to run a quant HF strategy that trades exotics? You don't really need structuring / BB quant experience to effectively trade vanillas.

That's what I figured. I guess I'm placing a little too much value on what I'll learning in the structuring role which I can't reading the books.

But yeah ... I want to evolve to a quant whose strategies combine underlying and options. Right now, I'm mixing currency and equity markets though. :)

Back