• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A new strategy of getting a job

Sanket Patel

i do stuff
If you haven't already read this, it's definitely worth a read:

Dealbreaker : Jeffrey Chiang Will Be Receiving No New Offers Of Employment

Jeffrey Chiang Will Be Receiving No New Offers Of Employment
Posted by Bess Levin, Oct 22, 2009, 9:33am

So! Firms are starting to hire again, which is very exciting to those of you trying to improve your situation. Perhaps its been a while since a lot have gone through this process, and youre a little rusty on the Dos and Donts. Which why starting today well be offering little pearls of accumulated wisdom picked up in the field. Tip one: dont lie about having received an offer from one firm while youre interviewing with another. Tip one-A: if youre going to lie about said fake offer, impersonate someone and forge a little evidence: easy on the typos. Spelling Bank of America without c is going to be a red flag. Jeffrey Chiang knows what were talking about.

Chiang apparently interviewed at Bank of America, where he was asked if he had any offers from other firms. Jeffrey claimed that he was in his second round of interviews with Morgan Stanley. An associate at BofA then contacted his friend at Morgan about Jeffreys prospects. The Morgan guy said that contrary to popular belief, JC had only had a phone interview, at which time he claimed to have gotten a full-out offer from BofA. As proof, JC provided a fabricated email allegedly from a recruiting woman at Bank of America, who would probably be surprised to be informed shed offered Chiang a job (and that she didnt know how to spell America). The Morgan people forwarded the faux letter of employment back to the people at Bank of America who were doing recon and from there it was forwarded to the entire free world.

Obviously, the lies here are not good form but whats most upsetting is the lack of effort. There wasnt an ounce of creativity or dancing in this scam (though we did appreciate the demand to be put up at the Four Seasons). In fact, its downright boring, as scams go. It doesnt come close to a Vayner move, and yet Mr. Chiang has been relegated to the same status as one of the greats. (A list of firms JC will likely not be getting offers from, as gleaned from the outrage expressed by their employees, can be found below). Apparently, though, we now live in a world of diminished expectations where you dont even need a video or a claim to bench press 500 lbs to rile people up or swear theyll never offer you a job. Going forward, youve been warned.

To: [Morgan Stanley]
Subject: FW: Bank of America Merrill Lynch Interviews

To: Jeffrey Chiang
Subject RE: Bank of America Merrill Lynch Interviews

Hi Jeff,

Everyone was very impressed with your interviews today. We are excited
to formally extend to you an offer to join Bank of Ameria [sic]
Merrill Lynch as an analyst next summer. You should be getting
documentation in the mail to sign very shortly. If you have any
further questions please feel free to email me. Again, congratulations
and we look forward to having you join us next year.

To: [Bank of America ML]
Subject: FW: Bank of America Merrill Lynch Interviews

This is what Jeffrey sent Morgan Stanley to prove he received an offer
from your firm. Given you told me you dinged him, should I assume this
is fake? If so, thats unbelievable and his school should be notified,
he shouldnt get a job anywhere on Wall Street.

To: [Lehman Brothers], [UBS]
Subject: FW: Jeffrey Chiang

I dont know if this guy has come up on your radar screens in terms of
analyst recruits, but you need to be warned about him. I should have
been tipped off by the fact that he ran a 5k marathon on his resume.
I just figured something got lost in translation.

I interviewed him on campus, and while he was pretty weird/intense, he
seemed like somebody who would crank and potentially make for a good
analyst, so we waved him in for an office visit.

Things started going bad for him when I got a call from our HR
department about him during our Superday. In making his travel
arrangements with our travel agent, he had apparently made a big stink
about needing to stay at the Four Seasons and blow up on the travel
person. It was apparently bad enough that she went to the trouble to
inform our HR department.

Our Superday reviews on him were pretty mixed, nonetheless. He had
spent a summer at Gulfstar, so I did a bit of checking on him there,
and it became clear that they were also very unimpressed with the way
that he carried himself. So, we dinged him, but that is not where the
story ends.

He had told one of the associates in our office that he was in the
second round of interviews for MSs Palo Alto office. Well, our
associate happened to mention this to his friend that works in the MS
Palo Alto office and the associate at MS said that Jeff had had only
had a phone interview but had indicated that he had an offer from
BAML. When the MS team asked him to send proof of his offer, he
manufactured the email below and forwarded to the MS team.

We have notified UT of this jokers behavior, but needless to say,
this guy shouldnt be able to get a job at McDonalds after a stunt
like this.

So far employees from the following firms have been read into the situation (i.e were forwarded the above); all but one claimed to be shocked by this clown who they believe should blacklisted, before passing it on. The exception was a representative of Jefferies, who said that JEF could use a guy like JC.

* Bank of America Merrill Lynch

* UBS

* Citi

* Goldman Sachs

* Morgan Stanley

* JPMorgan

* Credit Suisse

* Lazard

* Tiger Global

* Soros Fund Management

* Raymond James

* RBS Greenwich Capital

* Tudor Investment Corp

* Blackstone

* Calyon

* Blackrock

* CRT Capital Group

* Bain & Co

* BNP Paribas

* Perry Capital

* Oppenheimer & Co.

* ESL

* Citadel

* BarCap

* Deutsche Bank

* SMH Capital

* Neuberger Berman

* Goldman Sachs JBWere

* Bridgewater Associates

I suppose 5K could be close to a marathon if you only have one leg and no toes. But I'm guessing he probably does not have that going for him, either.

The #1 DON'T for interview------lie.

I don't agree this is "creativity". It's cheating and no matter how smart this guy is, lacking of integrity would eventually terminate his financial career. Has nothing to do with market condition.

The #1 DON'T for interview------lie.

I don't agree this is "creativity". It's cheating and no matter how smart this guy is, lacking of integrity would eventually terminate his financial career. Has nothing to do with market condition.

Sorry but this guy has the guts to tell a lie and support it , a very important skill in business.

Sorry but this guy has the guts to tell a lie and support it , a very important skill in business.
That's awfully cynical.

My view is that a certain amount of stretching the truth and maybe even a little letting people get misled is par for the course in the financial services world. (I would note that there are very few 3 or 4-digit GPAs that end with the numbers 5-9 on resumes, and then there is how everyone seems to feel about their managers around compensation/performance time.)

That said, most people play by the overall rules. This is a clear and egregious example of dishonest behavior.

IMHO, if I had an employee who followed the ethic that it's OK to lie and cheat as long as you don't get caught, I wouldn't want him working for me- even if his lying might make me more money in the short-term. That said, people do change- if Jeffrey Chiang grows up a little, maybe he will have a chance at landing a job on the street in a few years.

Sorry but this guy has the guts to tell a lie and support it, a very important skill in business.

Agreed. The financial world is replete with examples of dishonest behavior, both individually and systemically. The subprime mortgage market has been one recent example. Bundling them into tranches and assigning spurious "default probabilities" another. The world is run by and for crooks.

That's awfully cynical.

My view is that a certain amount of stretching the truth and maybe even a little letting people get misled is par for the course in the financial services world. (I would note that there are very few 3 or 4-digit GPAs that end with the numbers 5-9 on resumes, and then there is how everyone seems to feel about their managers around compensation/performance time.)

That said, most people play by the overall rules. This is a clear and egregious example of dishonest behavior.

IMHO, if I had an employee who followed the ethic that it's OK to lie and cheat as long as you don't get caught, I wouldn't want him working for me- even if his lying might make me more money in the short-term. That said, people do change- if Jeffrey Chiang grows up a little, maybe he will have a chance at landing a job on the street in a few years.

There's a good reason that GPAs don't end in 5-9 in the hundredths digit...because nobody ever looks there. They stop at the tenths and truncate.

The problem with Wall Street, and business in general, however, is that there are a lot more Jeffrey Chiangs out there, just more subtle about it.

And of course, what is the interview process besides just several rounds of how close you can come to being a Jeffrey Chiang/that other YouTube Yale moron without being called out on it?

As for BBW, the fact that he's a wannabe crook is funny. Because I'd rather go to Wall Street to rob (arbitrage against) all the crooks and instead donate most of that money to a better k-12 educational system.

There's a good reason that GPAs don't end in 5-9 in the hundredths digit...because nobody ever looks there. They stop at the tenths and truncate.

Then again, my CV listed my BS Maths GPA as π, accurate if not precise ...

Back