• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A question about VC++ compiling not Visual Studio

Hi there!
I am a rookie of this course and just finished my HW in Level 1. But I am worried that the compiler I use is Visual C++ 6.0 instead of Visual Studio because of some problems I encountered installing the VS.
I just wonder whether there will be some troubles with that?
I can guarantee that all the 20 c-files I have in my HW can compile in the environment of VC++,but can others also compile and run my codes successfully if they are not using VC++ such as VS 2010?
So should I just send it to the DROPBOX directly?
Please help me a little bit~
Thanks!

I think this should be fine, but 6.0 is very outdated. What issue do you encounter with 2010?

After I install it I cannot open any files I coded before. When I write some new codes they cannot compile.I cannot find the exact problem there
Are you creating/opening projects or attempting to compile code files on their own?

Are you creating/opening projects or attempting to compile code files on their own?
I open my cpp files before. And they cannot compile. Should I install it once again and see the problem? Actually I used to use Code Blocks to edit and compile. It seems that some codes which can be run in Code Blocks cannot be compile in VC++.So I am worried about this problem because I know that many of you are using VS.

You cannot compile directly by opening .cpp files in vs. You must create projects and add the .cpp files into the project. You can then compile the project.

Please see lecture 1 which details this process as well.

If you are getting compile errors, then that means there is something incorrect or non standard in your code which needs correcting. Please feel free to post the actual errors you see, if any

You cannot compile directly by opening .cpp files in vs. You must create projects and add the .cpp files into the project. You can then compile the project.

Please see lecture 1 which details this process as well.

If you are getting compile errors, then that means there is something incorrect or non standard in your code which needs correcting. Please feel free to post the actual errors you see, if any
OK Thank you!
I will reinstall it and see what was going and tell you~

VC++ 6.0 is ancient. Put it in the wastebasket.

Nothing will work later in the course.

VC++ 6.0 is ancient. Put it in the wastebasket.

Nothing will work later in the course.
Eh...I am sorry but I still cannot operate on the files.
The case now is like this:
Every time I want to compile the codes I wrote, it will print that the system cannot find the .exe file so that it will not work,even if I just want to print a space on the screen...
If I still cannot make it on VS 2010,are there some alternatives I can use?VC++ 11.0?

Eh...I am sorry but I still cannot operate on the files.
The case now is like this:
Every time I want to compile the codes I wrote, it will print that the system cannot find the .exe file so that it will not work,even if I just want to print a space on the screen...
If I still cannot make it on VS 2010,are there some alternatives I can use?VC++ 11.0?
There is no reason you should not be able to get this to work :cool: Can you post a screenshot of the issue you see as well as the exact steps you are taking to load/run the code?

There is no reason you should not be able to get this to work. Can you post a screenshot of the issue you see as well as the exact steps you are taking to load/run the code?
Sorry I use the version of Chinese. This link says this project has been outdated:
psb

This says that "Error. Do you want to proceed on the last one?"
psb

And this says that the program cannot be started. The system cannot find the target file.
psb

Sorry I use the version of Chinese. This link says this project has been outdated:
psb

This says that "Error. Do you want to proceed on the last one?"
psb

And this says that the program cannot be started. The system cannot find the target file.
psb
That first popup is expected. You should click 'yes'.

The second popup is telling you there was a compile error -- there is something incorrect with your code (you should click 'No' since there is no 'last one' yet). You should then check the build screen to see what the error is. You need to find the problem, correct it, and recompile.

The issue is not with VS -- installing another version will not help you.

That first popup is expected. You should click 'yes'.

The second error is telling you there was a compiler error -- there is something wrong with your code (you should click 'No' and then check the build screen to see what the error is). You need to find the problem, correct it, and recompile. The issue is not with VS

But my code is like this:

#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
printf("This is it\n");
}
Is there something wrong? This is the easiest code and it cannot run...

What does the compile error say?

You are missing a return statement.

Thanks a lot!But do I have to first uninstall my 2010 and install 2015?And what about the key for the set-up?
If you already have VS2010 then why you have a problem?
You can use VS2015 from the link I sent you for free as a trial. It won't ask for the key for a while and you will be able to work with no problems instantly.
Also you can obtain this software for free. Search online.

What does the compile error say?

You are missing a return statement.

fatal error LNK1123: 转换到 COFF 期间失败: 文件无效或损坏
It says that during the transfer to COFF it failed.The file is invalid or destroyed.
But after I change it to void main it still cannot work.

If you already have VS2010 then why you have a problem?
You can use VS2015 from the link I sent you for free as a trial. It won't ask for the key for a while and you will be able to work with no problems instantly.
Also you can obtain this software for free. Search online.
The problem is listed as the pictures I posted. Any code I wrote cannot be run.

Back