• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Actuarial Science (relevance to Quant jobs or degree programs)

ZEE

hey guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed before. For a person who majors in actuarial science (either bachelor or masters level), is the actuarial science degree relevant to MFE programs and can it be used to apply for MFE programs?

For actuarial science majors, can any of them by any chance ever be employed into quant roles if their degree covers the "financial engineering" module or any relevant aspects of financial engineering?

Thanks a lot

I'm thinking that any maths and/or coding you do in your Actuarial studies would help in MFE-type work I think, but my understanding of actuarial science vs MFE is that the two don't strictly overlap.

In short, I'm somewhat doubtful that actuaries would make an easy transition into the quant finance side of things. I work with a bunch of actuaries, but while they are usually quite mathematically minded and most can program reasonably, a lot of them weren't necessarily exposed to a lot about quant finance during their studies.

{of course, insert a hefty disclaimer here ;) }

Back