• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Admission 2008

Hello everyone hows it going?I had a question -i am one of the graduate applicant for fall 2008 ,the deadline for the same appears to be april 30.But my concern is that i am sitting for GRE MATH in APRIL and the results for the same would be out by MAY-23.Now is it possible to submit all of my application documents before april 30 and the gre math score by may 23 ,still be eligible for fall 2008.
THANKS

Do you mean the GRE Math Subject test?

Do you take it on the computer? Do you get an unofficial score on the spot?

May 23rd would be rather late, we usually make all the offers before May 15.

Thanks for a prompt reply.
Yes i am taking GRE MATH SUBJECT - which is paper based test takes place thrice a year ,the earliest date available being APRIL 12 for year 2008.However the results would be available by MAY 23 since they post it and not available on the spot.

is it possible if i mail all the required documents along with the complete applicatiom before april 30 (the deadline) but the gre math subject results by may 23 since i really want to show my quantative aptitude which i think is not the same as exhibited by my past academics.

Also I am a US resident and thus dont need an I-20 form or such other formalities which takes a lot of time.

Thanks for your kind help

If somebody has an answer to my question kindly reply,i would be really grateful.
thanks

In the bigger scheme of things, GRE Math score is a small part of a whole MFE application. It isn't even required for most programs out there.
When you think about it, if the admission committee needs to see your GRE Math score to determine your quantitative abilities, it's too late. Either you have enough quantitative background or you don't. GRE Math is supplemental, not instrumental.

That said, I would suggest that you pay more attention to completing your application on time and properly. Don't spend too much worrying about something that may or may not have any weight on the decision.

Thats exactly what I was going to say :)
Only a few schools require Math GRE.
I don't think Baruch requires Math GRE, so submit your application without Math GRE, but make sure you do it before the deadline.

Thanks a lot for your generous reply.really appreciate it
Thanks Guys

Thats exactly what I was going to say :)
Only a few schools require Math GRE.
I don't think Baruch requires Math GRE, so submit your application without Math GRE, but make sure you do it before the deadline.

I am confused - you have to take the GRE as whole right? You cannot elect to skip a section? And in the application process section on the Baruch website states that test scores are required.

There are 2 type of GRE
General GRE : required by most program. It consists of Quantitative, Verbal and Writing part. When people mention GRE Q, this is what they mean.
Math Subject GRE : only Math and much harder than the Quantitative section of General GRE. People take this as optional to improve their chance. Only Chicago requires this exam in addition to General one.

Baruch only requires General GRE. Average score of people admitted to the Baruch MFE program in 2007 is 795Q/585V or something like that.

Oh now I understand. Do you happen to know if Baruch offers an application fee waiver for McNair Scholars students?

Oh now I understand. Do you happen to know if Baruch offers an application fee waiver for McNair Scholars students?
NO

You apply directly to City University of New York (CUNY) in which Baruch is one of the senior colleges so all the fees go to CUNY, not to Baruch. Baruch has no say on who/how much you pay to apply to its MFE program. It's set by CUNY. . Proceeds go to CUNY and then go back to each college according to some formula.

McNair Scholars have more things to worry about than the application fee. For one, McNair Scholars will have to compete with 500+ applicants to get in :)

NO

You apply directly to City University of New York (CUNY) in which Baruch is one of the senior colleges so all the fees go to CUNY, not to Baruch. Baruch has no say on who/how much you pay to apply to its MFE program. It's set by CUNY. . Proceeds go to CUNY and then go back to each college according to some formula.

McNair Scholars have more things to worry about than the application fee. For one, McNair Scholars will have to compete with 500+ applicants to get in :)

Yea that is true - but every little helps. Fees start to add up especially if you apply to a few schools, have transferred (double transcript fees), and the GRE. It's minor in the scheme of things, but it helps.

Hi,

I am new here and was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on MFE admission.

I have two undergrad. degrees:
First one was from UCLA in International Relations-Political Economics 3.3 GPA,
second one was from California State Univ. Los Angeles in Applied Mathematics/Computer Science 3.5 GPA.

My GRE is around 1350

I have CPA license and three years experience in a small accounting firm specialized in taxation.

I have two years trading experience as a day trader, and I make 15-20% profit a quarter.

I understand it is very competitive for top MFE admission; I do not have 4.0 GPA, no 1600 GRE, math BS was only from a CSU, UCLA degree was only BA, and only small accounting firm work exp., and many said to me the day trade exp. is useless for MFE admission.

Would you guys please give me some advice on which school MFE I should apply that I may have better chance getting in?

Thank you.

Well, if you can make 15-20% profit a quarter you don't really need MFE :)

Also, total GRE score is not that much important as Quant part of it. Must be close to 800 to get into a top program.

Back