• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Admissions for the year 2012-2013

Is there anyone who has experienced an interview during the application process?

I also received an email from Pr.Smirnov for an itw. May you tell the kind of questions he asked? Is it about your motivation? Your studies? GPA?

I am kinda stressed out!

I also received an email from Pr.Smirnov for an itw. May you tell the kind of questions he asked? Is it about your motivation? Your studies? GPA?

I am kinda stressed out!
It was a very quick talk about my career objectives. Then I was asked where I applied and which were my priority between them and another program, if I were admitted in both.
Finally it was basically me asking prof. Smirnov questions about the program and why there is a lack of resources over the web.
Before the interview I asked for an early decision due to another offer, and during it I was assured to get one in time. However I still haven't heard back from them, while my other offer has expire two days ago... (fortunately I have been admitted to another program and I can wait for more days).

This is my experience, I hope it helps!

Nice info.

I'm curious to know about this as well.

Basically he seems not to share this point of view. I underlined the fact that there is no description of the elective courses on their website and their career service is considered poor. He replied that one can choose electives from the math dept, as well as the engineering one and the business one (maybe others as well, but I can't remember right now).
Finally he revealed some employment statistics: he said that in the last years over 90% of the graduates found employment (he didn't say upon which time from graduation) and that they didn't performance worse than top programs like CMU or NYU.

Ok, I just finished my 2min 20s itw with Pr.Smirnov, he only asked me what I wanted to do after the master; I replied quant or trader. He said "ok, we will send you a admission form this week, try to respond quickly"
That was so d**n quick

Ok, I just finished my 2min 20s itw with Pr.Smirnov, he only asked me what I wanted to do after the master; I replied quant or trader. He said "ok, we will send you a admission form this week, try to respond quickly"
That was so d**n quick

Which was your impression about this interview?

Which was your impression about this interview?

Well to be honest, I was kinda disappointed, one of my friend was interviewed for the MSOR at Columbia, and the questions seemed more "interesting", more "well thought", as I said it lasted 2min and 20sec.

But, don't get me wrong, I am really glad & grateful to be admitted; I am looking forward to receiving the official email, to start preparing for next year.:)

Btaw, are you going to the MAFN?

Well to be honest, I was kinda disappointed, one of my friend was interviewed for the MSOR at Columbia, and the questions seemed more "interesting", more "well thought", as I said it lasted 2min and 20sec.

But, don't get me wrong, I am really glad & grateful to be admitted; I am looking forward to receiving the official email, to start preparing for next year.:)

Btaw, are you going to the MAFN?

No I chose CMU. The bad opinions about MAFN couldn't only be biased by not supporting this forum. Moreover, I have no working experience, hence I look for good career supports.
I have received the welcome package from CMU and now I understand the difference between a program under the business school and one under the math department...

That was so d**n quick
Exactly one question?
Didn't you cover this question in your essay?
I don't see the point for this kind of "interview". To check if you can speak English?

I think the interview step is unique to those who apply later in the cycle, or those who were initially on the WL being considered to get bumped up into the admit pool.

Exactly one question?
Didn't you cover this question in your essay?
I don't see the point for this kind of "interview". To check if you can speak English?

I know it's strange but only one question
Indeed, I wrote that in my essay; maybe it was to check my english, but technically he has my toefl scores, so ...
But it doesn't really matter now, I'm glad I got in !

BTW andy, I will try to write a review when i get there; i found it strange that everybody criticizes the program given that many students from my school in France, who got in the program did not have any problems finding jobs either in NY or London after they graduate

No I chose CMU. The bad opinions about MAFN couldn't only be biased by not supporting this forum. Moreover, I have no working experience, hence I look for good career supports.
I have received the welcome package from CMU and now I understand the difference between a program under the business school and one under the math department...

Congrats!
But what do you mean by " I understand the difference between a program under the business school and one under the math department "? What was in the package?

Congrats!
But what do you mean by " I understand the difference between a program under the business school and one under the math department "? What was in the package?

Since I was admitted in 2 business programs and 2 math programs, I was able to receive a welcome package from the business ones and nothing from the math ones. In the package there were many resources about finding housing, what to do, where to eat and so on (both for Pittsburgh and Boston).
Moreover, the business admission team were very quick in answering my emails, while the others sometimes didn't reply at all. I believe that the big difference of available resources is the main cause of the different experiences I witnessed.

Are tuition at business-school programs more than those at math-dept programs? ;)

Well in my case yes and no.
I mean, BU is about 55k$ for 1.5 years, while MAFN is about 40k$ for only 1 year.
So in this case they are comparable.
CMU is way too expensive, but it offers many scholarships as far as I know. These cut down the total tuition and put them in the level of BU (which by the way offers scholarships as well).
The last program is based in UK, it lasts only 1 year and it is a little cheaper than MAFN.
But I know that the sample isn't so significant, and that business tuition are generally more expensive.

Back