Advanced C++11/C++14 Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Yigao Liu

C++ Student
Hi all! I am Hugo. I'm an incoming Baruch MFE students. I learned a lot from the previous course and intend to learn more from the advanced C++ course.

Objective:
Hope to be able to build some useful tools by using C++

Programming Experience: C++, Python, VBA, SQL, C#

Intended pace: Within 2 months

Hi all, I am Mohamamd, attending the advanced C++ course.

Objective: Sharpen my C++ 11/14 knowledge. A few years ago, I worked on a Math PhD for 4 years at CUNY. Possibly this time finish the MFE.

Programming Experience: Professionally programming 10+ years in C, C++, Java, Scala, Python, VBA , Bash Shell etc.

Current Status: Rates Macro Modelling Quant at a Investments bank in NYC.

Intended pace: Hope to finish in 3 months.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
Mohammad,
I would be very interested in your experiences here with the new functional programming metaphor in C++11 and its advantages.

Enjoy the course!

Regards

Daniel

Dear Professor Duffy,
I've been a student of yours for quite sometime through reading your books "Financial Instrument Pricing Using C++" and "Monte Carlo Frameworks". Books like those helped me gain a foothold in Derivative Pricing System Dev. For functional languages, I've been doing Python and Scala (which aren't pure functional) for sometime. I think C++ 11 introducing lambdas, variadic templates, perfect forwarding along-with time-tested techniques like CRTP and template method pattern etc. allows for far richer programming programming experiences than functional languages. Most functional language techniques are already present, with the advent of lambdas, in C++ 11. Things like currying, memoization and generators aren't probably there in C++, but I think, don't really add value other than being stylistic preferences. Looking forward to learn, practice c++ 11/14 features and Boost libraries in-depth.

Shilo Wilson

C++ Student
Hello, I'm Shilo. Incoming student for Baruch MFE, Fall '18.

Objective: I took the first course last summer, and need to increase my C++ skill / experience

Programming Experience: I work in python, my only C++ experience is the prerequisite to this course.

Current Status: Graduating MS Stats; incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: Attempting to finish prior to July 15 (the beginning of the immersion program.)

Zhaofeng Liao

C++ Student
Hello Everyone, I'm Zhaofeng, an incoming full-time Baruch MFE student in 2018 Fall. Currently working in an investment bank as an analyst, but soon will go back to school;)

Objective:
To get well prepared for the intensive MFE program at Baruch, as well as to further understand and apply C++ programming skills to solve problems.

Programming Experience: C++, VBA and R

Intended pace: I intend to complete this course before July 15th, really needs to speed up though...(y)

AndreSuess

C++ Student
Hi all, I am André, attending the advanced C++ course.

Objective: Main objective is to widen my C++ knowledge, in particular with respect to multithreading.

Programming Experience: Professionally programming 10+ years in C++, F#, Java, Scala, Python, R among others

Current Status: Quant developer at large investment bank.

Intended pace: Finish before the days run out.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
Finish before the days run out.

The days are getting a bit shorter these days, but the good news is the evenings are getting longer :)
Having knowledge of functional programming is certainly very good!

Good luck!

Vincent_Wang

C++ Student
Hi all, I am Ziyue Wang, an incoming student of the Baruch MFE program for Fall 2019

Objective: This is required for us incoming Baruch MFE students. And I am happy to refresh my C++ knowledge and advance to a higher stage.

Programming Experience: I am proficient in Python, C++, R

Current Status: Senior Student; incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: I will try to finish it before Feburary 10th.

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
Hi all, I am Ziyue Wang, an incoming student of the Baruch MFE program for Fall 2019

Objective: This is required for us incoming Baruch MFE students. And I am happy to refresh my C++ knowledge and advance to a higher stage.

Programming Experience: I am proficient in Python, C++, R

Current Status: Senior Student; incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: I will try to finish it before Feburary 10th.
Good luck, Vincent! Distribute effort over the 16 weeks.
Daniel

Yuxin Liu

C++ Student
Hi all, I am Yuxin Liu, an incoming student of the Baruch MFE program for Fall 2019.

Objective: This is required for incoming Baruch MFE students. I am also very excited to get a better understanding of C++

Programming Experience: I have working experience in Matlab and Python, and I also have learned Java and C++.
Current Status: Graduating this year, incoming MFE student.

Intended pace: I will try to finish it before May.

Lennie

C++ Student
Hi all, I am Lennie Ye, a quant for a wall street firm

Objective: for fun

Programming Experience: I am proficient in Python, C++

Current Status: working

Intended pace: as far as possible

omartwahir

C++ Student
Hi Everyone, I am currently studying through the Pre-MFE program by Baruch College.

Objective: Satisfy the Pre-MFE requirement and continue to learn C++ which I have grown to like very much

Programming Experience: Python, Java & C++

Current Status: Just graduated from my Bachelor's degree

Intended Pace: as quickly as possible