• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

advice/help for programs

Hello all.

I'm a senior engineering student at the Cooper Union who is looking for input and advice on applying to MFE programs.

I'm planning on applying to 6-7 schools being:
Berkeley
U Chicago
Baruch
Boston U
Stanford
CMU
NYU

I have a 3.2 gpa and 1490 GRE score (800 math).

My only relevant experience in finance is that this past summer I worked as a clerk on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange during the June roll of the S&P 500 futures.

Basically, I'm looking for any tips/advice on what I can do to make myself a more attractive applicant to these schools. and if someone could guesstimate my chances of admission, that would be great.

EDIT: I forgot before, but I need to take the GRE Math subject test for U Chicago. What is the minimum score where it pays to send the score report to the other schools? I read that an 850 is 75th percentile and is considered a good score.

Thanks.

a 850 cannt possibly be a 75 percentile.

last year i scored 750, a 81 percentile. however from my perspective, the most difficult part of math subject, abstract algebra, has rather limited use in FE.

Hello all.
I'm planning on applying to 6-7 schools being:
Berkeley
U Chicago
Baruch
Boston U
Stanford
CMU
NYU

What about Columbia? They have 2 programs.

As far as chances go. A lot depends on applicants' pool, and, of course, on programs' policies. I think it would be best for you to check individual program's websites for admission statistics. They should list the numbers for their admitted students.

Thanks for the responses.

This is straight from my 'Cracking the gre math subject test 3rd edition' book (page xvi in the preface)

"Generally, scoring above an 850 puts you in the top quarter of test takers, and this would be considered a very good score."

I looked up on ETS and they give the mean as 621 and SD as 130. Which means you're right and the book can't even make it to the subject matter without mistakes. :(

I'll look into Columbia. The 2 degrees are Mathematical Finance and Financial Engineering right?

I'm basically looking for opinions on if I'm applying to too many schools, or too few. If I should have more 'lower tier' schools ... and any other advice or suggestions.

I'm taking several math classes this semester, including, advanced calculus, differential geometry and advanced linear algebra.

I'm expecting to get recommendation letters from the dean of engineering, a math professor (who worked in finance as a quant), and possibly an economics professor.

is there anything else I should be doing to improve my chances?

and (again) is there a general consensus on what GRE math subject score is considered impressive? (or good enough to send to schools I don't have to?)

thanks for all of your help.
Michael

Yes, the two programs at Columbia are Mathematics of Finance and Financial Engineering.

I don't think "sending to too many" is a problem. If you can afford paying application fees and writing essays, and your professors can write a number of recommendations :) you might as well apply to 10-15 schools :) I usually look at what schools offer (match against my background), also look at where they are, how much they cost :) and 10-15 schools are narrowed down to 5.

Also, you need to be careful about the "lower tier" schools. If possible, I would apply to a school that is accepting almost everybody, in case your 3.2 GPA won't be good enough.

Back