• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice Needed : Planning to apply for MFE in Fall 2012

babinu

XYZ
Hi Everyone,

I have posted once before , but I would need real help to decide on how to spend my time thoroughly from now on.

I am listing my profile in detail here:

Education :

B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering from NIT calicut a reputed institute in India.

Work Experience :

2 years (It will be 3 when I apply) of work experience in hedge fund D.E.Shaw & Co as feeds developer .

Major projects :

1. Have developed low latency , low garbage , high throughput parsers in core java for data feeds such as Trades feed from NYSE , Best Quotes feed from NYSE, Best Quotes feed from ARCA.

2. Have developed an innovative ,efficient way in core java to normalize the parsed data from OPENBOOK ULTRA (Depth feed from NYSE) and transmit to the trading system. The normalization has been made sure to be efficient by reducing the amount of data to be serialized and made sure that the throughput is high.

3. Have developed parser for Options depth feed from the International Securities Exchange.

4. Did another major project with respect to subscription of instruments by the trading system in perl

Programming :

C / C++/ Java / Perl

Math :

Have taken the following courses as part of engineering :

1. Calculus and transforms

Course consists of Partial differential equations, Complex Integration ,Vector Calculus, Laplace and Fourier transforms.

2. Linear Algebra

Basics of Linear algebra. Also did a course on the application of liner algebra in quantum computing.

3. Course in Probability and statistics

4. Course in Number theory and it's applications in cryptography.

5. Coures in discrete math as part of CS department.

Apart from these course work , I was selected among the top 40 in India in Math as part of the Indian National Math Olympiad (INMO) and was invited to the training camp for IMO.

Plans :

For MFE Preparation , I plan to do the following things :

1. Brush up the math concepts and take up the Math GRE in November.

2. Brush up my finance concepts and take up CFA Level I in december.

This is what I have decided so far. If you guys have any better suggestions, please let me know. It will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Babinu

you are already working for DE Shaw. try to move to trading groups within DEShaw

Back