• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice needed. Stony brook

How reliable are the data in rankings?
Although I'm totally inclined towards Stony Brook, couldnt find much data on related ONLY to the QF program elsewhere.

How reliable are the data in rankings?
Although I'm totally inclined towards Stony Brook, couldnt find much data on related ONLY to the QF program elsewhere.
I could be wrong, but the QF program is ranked in the top 20 on quantnet.com.

I could be wrong, but the QF program is ranked in the top 20 on quantnet.com.
I am concerned because we do not have detailed information regarding employment after graduation. Additionally, I've found extremely difficult to find people on LinkedIn that completed the program in the past and the information I've found from the few I've been able to find does not make me be optimistic.

I think it is a good place to do PhD QF (If you do't mind the low fund or nearly no fund).
But for the MS QF program, it is a mixed bag due to much weaker student body on average compare to other programs
listed in quantnet ranking.

If just look at the right tail, then the top 10~25% students are just as good as any average students
at the top MFE programs.

It's also a good place to prepare for PhD elsewhere. I think one strength of SBU's AMS program is that
it does not pigeonhole you into one specific career especially the highly volatile career in finance. This degree is still
named as applied mathematics and statistics which
gives you more flexibility when it comes to career choices. Also you can major/minor in other tracks, not just limited to QF.

Some of the AMS ms alumni at academia are: Professor Chihwa Kao, the head of econ (a world top 100 econometrician) department at UCONN

Another even more famous guy is Professor Edward I. George who is a world's top statistician at UPenn Wharton.

There are more and more, who got into top PhD programs in finance, operation research, statistics at Stanford, UCLA, UC Irvine,
HKUST, etc..

Back