• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on self-learning/reading before/during a Master's programme

Hi guys,

I want to beef up my technical skills and I am hoping to be enrolled in an Applied Mathematics/Financial mathematics programme in October 2023. The work on my current job involves a mix of quant engineering (writing a framework/building a tool) and minor enhancements to models, for pricing simpler credit derivative products.

I had a lot of fun doing proofs in Analysis from Stephen Abbott's Understanding Analysis text. I also finished reading and working through the exercises in Steven Shreve Volume I - this was easy reading for me.

I can follow and work through the exercises in the book on Probability by Capinski, as I have some experience with analysis - doing epsilon-delta proofs, proving pointwise and uniform convergence, integrability.

Since time is finite, in the run-up to college, should I:

1) Follow through and continue working through the exercises in Capinski's book.
Or
2) Focus more on computational skills, self-teach and acquire green-belt/blue-belt skills in PDE and numerics for solving PDEs.

I understand that, both a strong probabilistic background and PDE-skills are important for a desk-quant.

Regards,
Quasar

Last edited:
What's holding you back from moving into a more technical role within your current organization already now? Do you feel like you are actually lacking hard skills in order to work on the same topics as your colleagues? Are there internal barriers based on your education background? If neither of the two, then I don't see how the Masters degree helps for an internal move. An external move into a different role is generally harder.

@CrossGamma, Short answer (without mincing words) - lack of hard skills.

At the end of some solid coursework, and an interesting project/thesis, I would like to pivot to an entry-level role in the city.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this before but be aware that landing entry level roles becomes fairly difficult at a certain age, independent of whether you just graduated from a new degree or not.

@CrossGamma, yes I agree, and thanks for your thoughts as well forewarning. Then again, I am determined to skill up, try and make that jump.
You are already on QuantNet asking questions, doing your research so you are a step ahead of others. Keep learning and you will be good.

Back