• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on Skill and Tools Please

Hello there everyone. First all, thank you for providing such a resourceful community to new quants wannabes such as myself. I want to solicit input from all the experienced quants on this website. I have an Electrical Engineering undergrad and MBA Finance background. I am looking to start my MFE program this fall. My goal is to work as a trader after my MFE.

I want to take this period before the program to beef up and round out my skill set. I understand C++ is the language of choice in the quant industry so that is a must. I know SAS and Excel pretty well. Should I pick up any additional language and stat packages (such as MATLAB)? What other tools should I familiarize myself with?

George :prayer:

Don't you have to take refresher courses offered at your MFE program?
C++ is a given. Hit it to Boost/quantlib level.
Write Excel add-in using C++
Tune up VBA skills (SQL ADO, Access, Bloomberg API)
Matlab is after thought. I don't know any trader who uses Matlab daily. Most are Excel/Bloomberg jokey. If you want to become quant trader, then an ability to work with massive, live datafeeds is important.

I don't fall under experienced quant category but the points are from my experience.

Thanks

Thanks Andy for the input. I do have to take 3 pre-program courses. One C++ and two math (stat and calc).

Anyone used these risk tools ?

KMV Risk Frontier (Moody's) or Kamakura?

I found product info on google, but comments based on real-life user experience would be most welcome. Thx.

What about Fidessa? Someone that i know is suggesting that I learn this tool, but I can't find much info on it.

Back