• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Am i eligible for Baruch MFE Programme?

Hi Guys, Looking for some immediate advise.

I'm planning to apply to Baruch College - MFE / MS Finance.
I have 1.5yrs of Experience in Morgan Stanley (as Product Operations Analyst- India), and 7 Months of Experience as Relationship Manager in Domestic Brokerage Company (HDFC Securities - India).
Undergrad CGPA - 7.31 / 10, if I convert it to GPA - 2.91 / 4 approx. (Converted using random website)
Cleared Chartered Market Technician (CMT Level - 2)

I'm from BBA Finance Background, No knowledge on Maths & Programming Language (#Learning Basics of Python now).

With the above background, I'm planning to apply to Baruch MFE Programme, because I'm more interested in Machine Learning & Algorithmic Trading.
And my END Goal is to get role of - Research Analyst / Trader (in Investment Banks / Hedge Funds) .

Can anyone advise, MFE is the right programme for me to get into with my above Backgroud & End Goal? 1st of all, Do I get admission with the above background?

Reason why I'm interested in MFE:
- Machine Learning & Algorithmic Trading, I see MFE programme is the only one program teaching Algo.
- I'm also interested to learn Montecarlo Simulations, Random Walk & Gambler’s ruin, Martingales, asset pricing model, these topics are included in MFE Curriculumn.

If in case, if you feel I'm not eligible for MFE Programme. Can you please advise how will be the MS Finance programme in Baruch?
Is that possible to get Research / Trading roles with MS Finance course?

Thanks in Advance :)

Your GPA sounds quite low and so with the combination of no knowledge of maths and programming so I think Baruch would be quite unlikely and you would struggle on the program. I dont know much about the MS Finance program but it would be a better fit

I don't think whether you get admission depends on what are your interests but what have you done toward your interest. You're interested ML and Algorithmic Trading, what have you done? What machine learning techniques have you used and what for? Have you built a trading algorithm and backtest it? If not, try doing so. If you stay interested, Baruch or not Baruch does not matter. But for now, I think it's very hard for you to get admission from the top 1 MFE program (where some of my friends prepared for years but still not made it). But being hard is not impossible!

I don't think whether you get admission depends on what are your interests but what have you done toward your interest. You're interested ML and Algorithmic Trading, what have you done? What machine learning techniques have you used and what for? Have you built a trading algorithm and backtest it? If not, try doing so. If you stay interested, Baruch or not Baruch does not matter. But for now, I think it's very hard for you to get admission from the top 1 MFE program (where some of my friends prepared for years but still not made it). But being hard is not impossible!
Thank you. Can you please advise how's MS Finance Program in Baruch?

Back