• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Am I fit for Baruch?

My educational background is as follows. I have a doctorate degree in theoretical solid state physics and I just completed my 2yr contract as a postdoctoral research fellow.

I would like to know if there are any Ph.D.'s who are currently in the Baruch program. And, I would like to get a perspective on my chances fro admission.

Thank you.

I would like to know if there are any Ph.D.'s who are currently in the Baruch program.
Well we previously had Ph.D. in the programming, and we have a ph.d. (in physics) in the incoming 2007 batch....
And, I would like to get a perspective on my chances fro admission
Actually I think none of the present students can comment on that --- the admission decisions are taken by a selection committee and so the only way to figuring that out is by actually applying to the program....

Having said that, I do not quiet understand your concerns about "Am I fit for the program"..

If you concerns are that you do not have a background in finance, that's not a problem because indeed many of us do not have a background in finance... I am not sure if you aware, but the famous Black Scholes formula, is a derivation of the heat equation and I am sure you would be preety comfortable with that.... We are doing a course for eg this semester where in we solve heat equation under different boundary conditions for pricing different option contracts....

Infact financial engineering in general is a subject where a background in physics would be very useful -- I am sure you would have heard about E Derman and his book where he outlines a lot about that...

sp

It is not about how much education you received perviously. It is about can you show people in your application that:
Do you really like FE?
How bad you want to work on wall Street?
Are you a workable person for financial industry?
How can you apply your pervious education in this program to help you learn?
What can you bring to this program?

I think those are the questions you should ask yorself too.
Then you know the answer for "Am I fit for Baruch?"
-AC

Back