• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Any has idea on MAFN admission process?

I have been waiting for more than 3 months. Some got their in less than 1 month.
It seems they don't offer waitlist, so how do they decide?

I have been waiting for more than 3 months. Some got their in less than 1 month.
It seems they don't offer waitlist, so how do they decide?

FYI, i got waitlisted after 80 days, and the final decision on waitlisted applicants are made in late spring.

I got an email reply today, and they said it will be before May. Anyone else on the same boat with me?

Columbia MAFN deadline (5/31) is much later than many other programs so the waiting list is understandably longer.
While you are at it, read this http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303772904577333680574993686.html

Schools often pad their waitlists to protect their "yield," or the proportion of accepted students who choose to attend. They can admit fewer students on the first pass, to maintain their aura of exclusivity, then move on to the waitlist if accepted students turn them down.

But for most students, being waitlisted is "not much better than a rejection," says Elizabeth Heaton, senior director of educational consulting at College Coach, an admissions consulting firm, and a former regional director of admissions at University of Pennsylvania.

Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh, Pa., admitted just six of the 5,003 applicants invited on to its waitlist last year. At Cornell University, in Ithaca, N.Y., not one of the 2,998 students offered a spot on last year's list was admitted.

"It's so hard to know what we're going to need," says Janet Lavin Rapelye, Princeton University's dean of admission.

Princeton, which accepted 2,095 students for a record-low 7.86% admission rate this year, offered 1,472 applicants places on its waitlist. In the past six years, it has taken as few as none from the list, or as many as 164.

Many colleges are reluctant to disclose the number of students on their waitlists. Harvard, which admitted a record-low 5.9% of applicants this year, doesn't release the size of its list. A university spokesman said Harvard accepted 31 from the waitlist last year, and between 49 and 228 in the four years prior to that.

Most schools know by May 1 who has accepted their initial offers of admission. They then turn to the waitlist to fill any remaining slots, a process that is supposed to wrap up by August 1, a deadline set by the National Association for College Admission Counseling. On average, 45% of students offered spots on a waitlist accept the offer, according to the Princeton Review.

Columbia MAFN deadline (5/31) is much later than many other programs so the waiting list is understandably longer.
You mean longer in time or longer by the number of people ?
And I don't think you can compare undergraduate and graduate application process, numbers are not the same.
By the way do you know any details about "short" wait list ?

Back