• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Any information about the UCB MFE 1st round interview?

Hi all,

I just got an interview from Berkeley. There will be two MFE current students (one with a Econ phd from Chicago). Can any one give me some ideas what will the interview be like? Is it pure technical, or mixed? How long will it be? What do you think would be a good preparation for it?

It is pure technical!

Brainteasers,finance questions (bond pricing etc), stats & prob problems, programming code and some mathematics..

Freshen up on your basic finance and math skills, be ready to write some code in any OOP language and do not be intimidated to say "I DO NOT KNOW".

Best of Luck.

Last edited:
Guys

I understand this is not the best of questions but still asking. I was recently interviewed in UCB R2. While the personal interview was okay, the technical did not go the best. I was asked questions on mathematics and programming where I did falter. The reason is that I passed my undergraduate engineering 10 years back and although I have 4 years of core J2EE programming skills, I wrote the last code 7 years back. Post that I have been working in core finance industry post MBA.

While I have highlighted the same (that although I have mathematical background and code experience, they are quite sometime back and if admitted, I will take up the refresher courses/learn on my own since I will have 6-8 months before the course starts) in my application, I am just curious to know how much of importance is assigned to the technical interview. Does a negative break an application totally?

If anyone of you have any experience to share, it will be good to know. Not that it will change the outcome but may be I will be prepared a little better for the news. Additionally, any idea when do people hear back from the office after interview in case of accept/reject?

When I had my UCB R1 technical interview I was told this is not a make-it-or-break-it interview. Among other things it is an assessment of your technical skills and to help UCB better tailor a study plan for you if they decide to admit you.

I heard back from them about 2-3 weeks after my technical interview but it was right before the R1 decision deadline date so I am not sure if that played any part in the timeline.

To be honest, I am not sure if you hear back from them in case you get rejected, maybe they send out a mass email on decision deadline date for your specific round of application?

Hi Zerpcool and Alps,

Even I had an interview with alumni last friday. I think it went good and I believe it was mainly technical. In your posts above you have mentioned that interviews are both "technical" and "personal". Do they conduct two rounds of interview with Personal separate from technical?

Popov
What I meant by personal was the part where you are asked questions from your resume and others. Technical meant asking questions on mathematics, programming and finance. I had just one interview.

Hope this clarifies.

Hello Popov,

I did not have an interview with Alumni. I had two interviews with current students (not at the same time) and 1 with director of the program during R1. The 1st two interviews were purely technical, apart from 5 minutes at the end of my 2nd interview talking about my current projects. The last interview was mainly informative and to be offered admission.

Cheers,
Alex

Hmmm... Alrigh..Zerocool,

Btw what was the gap between your interviews with Current students and with Director? Two weeks or so?

Regards,
Popov

Popov, Actually one person posted his admit. He requested for an early decision. [EDITED :P]

Guys

I received em e-mail on Friday saying that my application was being put on Hold. It also asked me to attend the pre-program courses offered by the school post which they will make a decision. I have a few queries and it would be good if someone with information can reply back.

1. Any idea on how many 'Hold' candidates actually make the final cut? What I want to know is how realisitc are chances for a 'Hold' candidate?

2. The e-mail says that the final decision will be taken somewhere around Janaury end or February beginning next year. The question is primarily for any Indian students here. Any idea on how long does it take to process the Visa from India?

3. The e-mail also asks me to take courses on PDE and numerical analysis. The question is primarily for any Indian students here. Any idea on where possible courses are taught in India, especially Mumbai?

4. Is there any way I can request for an early decision? Has anyone done it before? It will be good to know the experience.

Your chances arent high...whats your profile...not many hold candidates make it typically...

Has anyone got invite for the second round of interview? Though not always but usually they conduct one round with current students/alumni and the other round with the admission committee.

I haven't received any.

Back