• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Anyone else headed to Columbia MSOR?

Thanks a lot. I am looking at the tracker for more help. I believe a couple of people must have got mails like I did, to give the university a call today/tomorrow.
Thanks again!
Good Luck.

even i had my interview yesterday ... but unlike other applicants for whom status changed the same day ,my status still shows pending ,.... did they forget to update it ??

I guess it will get updated soon!
What kind of questions did they ask? Any technical?
Are you also one of those redirected from FE to OR?
I have my interview in an hour. So I'd appreciate all the help! Thank you!

ya all the same questions : why msor ? which other programs and where does colmbia rank among them ?? how will u fund it ??

i was also redirected ofrom fe ...
i guess it shud be easy . ... all the best

If you intend on going to the MSOR program, let us know. So far, I am going for sure and onthesc might.

Yup ! I will keep you posted for sure. Although, I'd like a bit more insight on the placements when compared to MSMF at BU and Rutgers. I am hearing negative things about MSOR on QuantNet.

Hey Janhavi,

This is just my perception, so don't put too much weight on it. But I think the MSOR program is getting negative light due to the fact that MSOR seems to be a step child of sort to the MSFE program. It might be true, but it doesn't matter to me since you can take a good number of the quantitative finance courses anyway (and add some other courses if you like, such as b-school courses, which you can get a list of that MSOR students are eligible for right off the bat). Can you perfectly replicate the MSFE curriculum? Absolutely not, but you can come pretty close to it if you wish. Also the program doesn't have a MSFE-type dedicated career office (thus maybe why no numbers are posted since the fields grads are going into could be drastically different). In the MSOR program, its more than just finance-centric students. But once again, that is just one man's perception.

For BU, you can contact their admin to verify the numbers on their site. Illanit (which was my sponsor during my class visit) also has a post here somewhere that talks about those numbers.

Let us know if MSOR is where you are going. Would love to get a group together before school starts to get to know each other and what not.

i cant get through :(Did you have to dial an extension number? were u met with the recorded message?

No extension number. Yeah the recorded msg plays when the line is busy. Just keep dialing. I got through on the 4th try.

okay... ive already tried 7 times :(
they disconnect when you don't dial an extension, thought, right?
I'll keep trying.
thanks anyway !

It took me about 20 minutes to get through when I called yesterday. I kept getting a busy signal, no message. When I finally got through the phone rang for an abnormally long time before someone answered. Good luck!

I only have the recorded message telling me where to email or contact the school for queries!
Then they ask for an extension number three times and if you don't, they disconnect you in 5 seconds! The phone does not ring or anything! Is this the no. you guys called on?(212)-854-2941

The email I received gave two numbers: (212) 854-2941 and (212) 854-2942. I tried both, but I think I ended up getting through with the second number.

The email I received gave two numbers: (212) 854-2941 and (212) 854-2942. I tried both, but I think I ended up getting through with the second number.

I got through on the first one. It just depends I guess.

I only have the recorded message telling me where to email or contact the school for queries!
Then they ask for an extension number three times and if you don't, they disconnect you in 5 seconds! The phone does not ring or anything! Is this the no. you guys called on?

(212)-854-2941

Thats exactly what happened when I tried to. Keep calling Janhavi

Btw for the placement statistics, I sent them an email that I see all the info on the website but I was wondering if they have more detailed statistics, not just names and positions with not a single number. The answer was more or less: "Congratulations bla bla....Please check the website for this kind of stats." And this is their answer after I specifically wrote I have checked it.

Back