• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Anyone else headed to Columbia MSOR?

funny to watch MFE list full of red and MSOR list full of green)

who knows the size of FALL 2011 class for MSOR?

Holy cow this thread took off! But people, the questions about interview questions and what not could be found in other threads or on the tracker. This thread should be used for admits to talk about the program. Best of luck to your interviews though, hope you guys get in!

@Forza,
Yeah I think I will take intro to fe. looks like a decent intro class to computational methods in finance. I am in similar shoes as you. I am leaning towards quantitative AM, but would be interested in derivatives trading. I will have to seriously sit down and focus on one path as recruiting gets closer.

How many units are you planning on taking? 45 (15 each sem)? I would like to as well but that's a lot of money. I could have afforded it at BU because they gave me a scholarship to kind of help out, but now 1.5 yr MSOR + NYC living will be quite ugly on my books. I might just spread out 35-40 units across the 3 sem, to lighten my load and also give me a chance to network.

funny to watch MFE list full of red and MSOR list full of green)

who knows the size of FALL 2011 class for MSOR?

size of MSOR is usually ~150? And it makes sense that most of the the redirected are accepted. If they didn't have a chance to be accepted, they would not have been redirected.

@onthesc,

I will probably take intro to FE since the other courses require it as a pre-req (and it has been a while since my undergrad finance days). But once I am done with school at UMass, I will seriously sit down and come up with a game plan.

I love going back to school, but 45 might be a bit much for me ;) I am probably going to do 12 each, so 36 total with an internship during the summer. Also, more chances to network during the school year like you mentioned, and have time to attend the various seminars that they have. I received a hefty scholarship from BU also, too bad CU doesn't have anything like that. How many courses do you plan to take? You plan on living on campus housing? I will be living in grad housing since it's my wife (or sugar mama) and I.

@Forza,

That is a good point about Intro to FE being prereqs. I should do that too.

And 36 units sound pretty reasonable (at least on paper). I was thinking of doing something like 12 units too. We just need to figure out if any classes require pre-reqs (like intro to fe) and if it would affect our 1.5 yr plan. I really need to sit down and list out classes I'm interested in taking, now that I'm actually admitted.

I have no idea about housing. I believe grad housing will be a good choice. I will probably fill in an application for housing once I get my admissions packet. Congrats on the sugar mamma, sounds like you guys are making it work well ;)

That brings up a good point, I think further down the line we can create a google doc for all the admits on qnet. Have some contact info, and get connected. If we get to put down housing preference (in terms of roomates), the google doc might be a good way to meet future housemates!

That brings up a good point, I think further down the line we can create a google doc for all the admits on qnet. Have some contact info, and get connected. If we get to put down housing preference (in terms of roomates), the google doc might be a good way to meet future housemates!
It's a good candidate for a wiki entry on Quantnet that admit students can contribute to. I have some plans to combine all the info I have gathered so far on a few programs.
Just don't disappear before I get to do this and you will love it.

@onthesc,

Yea on the pre-reqs topic, it is def tricky. I am going to do the same, list the courses, and see what pre-reqs are needed. And then maybe even contact the professors themselves to see what is truly needed. And when the time comes, you and I can divide and conquer on that.

On the housing issue, check out their housing website. They have some nice places, and don't seem to be too bad in terms of rent. Any chance you going up there for a visit in June?

And regarding the name, when I was in HS, I started reading this Italian sports car magazine named Forza (my cousin was a car guy and he had a stack of those). Haven't played the game tho.

@Andy,

Sounds like a plan, can't wait for the magic to come out.

Looks like quite a few are headed to MSOR. Is the tuition and program length for MSOR same as MSFE? I could not find this information on their website.

I surely hope you looked at the website before you applied... but they are easy to find, the link is here http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/admissions/Tuition_Fees/2010-2011.html

@Forza,
If I go up there in the next month or so, I will make sure I take some pictures for you guys. I'll make a post here so you guys can request what pictures to take (or current students at Columbia can just chime in now, that'd be nice too). I might go to NY in June right after my school ends, and then vacate in Asia for a few weeks, then move in (hopefully) early August.

@paintvintage,
If you don't mind sharing, what is your background? Glad you will be joining us!

@Biswas Garg,
Agree with onthesc, definitely check out and understand the organization and structure of the program first before you decide to apply/go. Maybe that's why some folks have been down on the program, since their expectations beforehand and actual experience once they are there were not quite aligned.

@onthesc,
Sounds good! On the pics, have you checked out the post Andy created? He went for a visit, and took some amazing pictures. Some with Derman too. But make sure you post your Asia pictures too ;) Where are you going? I will be in NY around the weekend of the 18th of June (taking a cruise before school starts, with NYC as the port) so let me know if you are going to be there around then.

I'm going to start charging Columbia IEOR for all the additional interest this site is generating for their MFE and MSOR programs.

@Forza
Whatever info you have gathered so far on MSOR, please keep them in a doc so we can reuse later on our wiki

@onthesc
If you have more pics of Columbia later on, be sure to share with us so we can put them into our Columbia gallery

Haha you should Andy! And then you can have those central park picnics every weekend!

Definitely Andy, I have tons of e-mails and great info from Ms. Adina Brook (who has been great!) that I would love to share with others. Once I start the program, I will keep contributing to create more awareness and understanding for the MSOR program.

@paintvintage,
If you don't mind sharing, what is your background? Glad you will be joining us!

Hey! Of course.
Undergrad : B.E. in Industrial Engineering from a top college in India. Graduated in May '10.
Currently pursuing the Quantitative Studies for Finance post-baccalaureate program here at Columbia. Will be done in May.
And I applied directly to OR as well. I feel like it offers me exactly what I want with regard to my background and aspirations. The flexibility of curriculum doesn't hurt. I am interested in Logistics as well but we'll see where that goes. :)

Hey paintvintage,

Great background! After your one year is up, are you going to try to stay in the states? What classes are you looking to take?

I am curious about if there are any MSOR students who will go for a phd after this program. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

danli,

From what I understand, you would have to apply to the PhD program just like others since the MSOR is a terminal degree. However, I would suggest you contact the admissions office to get additional info.

Back