• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Anyone else headed to Columbia MSOR?

Haha seems quite silly to do so. I suppose I will, if that is what they want...

I too got the same email last night. I could not understand what is replying back means because they only have send this mail

Maybe he forgot to include a "not" in the sentence? As in if we don't receive the housing, etc info by 4/22, we should email them. THAT makes a lot more sense.

hahaha. Things are pretty much messed up but i am sure i will join the program

Hi ishant

Have you received the same e-mail below last friday? can it be regarded as an official admission letter? I am a bit puzzled by the sentence, pending the verifiation of your admissions documents. It seems like they are still in the process of verifying my documents or am i misunderstanding it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations!

Let me be among the first to inform you that you have been admitted to the Masters of Science in Operations Research at Columbia University, pending the verification of your admissions documents. My colleagues and I hope you will join us this fall.

Hi withha,

Yes i got the same email but i guess admission is confirmed and i they also mailed me that the formal letter would be next early this week. Are you final with Columbia or looking at something else

Hi ishant

Yes Columbia is my final destination. Is it the same with you? BTW, thanks for your reply.

Hey folks,

Just got an email back from Adina saying they are working on setting up another open house for those that missed the earlier April one. In the mean time, if you are anxious, they will be more than happy to host individuals also.

@witha can you please tell me where are you from.

@ Forza - Is there a way that international students who can't attend this open house can benefit from it.

@ishant,

You can always e-mail Adina (who is super helpful and has answered all my questions) your pertinent questions. Otherwise, when the open house does take place (which I will be attending), you can send me questions you have and I will be more than happy to ask them for you.

Andy also has posted some great pictures if you want to see what the campus looks like.

Hope that helps - are you going to MSOR for sure?

yes Forza i am coming to Columbia and I am very excited to know about your experience during your Army experience. I dont know much about people who are coming for this program but i hope we will make some really good friends and share the knowledge we have. I am going to learn a lot :). I will mail you my questions and also please tell me where can i find the pictures

Andy beat me to it on the pics :)

Glad you are joining us ishant! I think we have a good group of folks going into the program, and I am definitely looking forward to it. When the time gets closer and we are all in place in NY, I will set something up for us all to meet and greet.

In the mean time, if you have specify questions, just e-mailed them to me on here and I will try to get some answers for you.

@witha can you please tell me where are you from.

@ Forza - Is there a way that international students who can't attend this open house can benefit from it.

Hi ishant

I am coming from Korea and looking forward to seeing you all

fyi, letter is AVAILABLE online now, via a link they send you. The amount required for a deposit is, staggering to say the least.

Hi,
I also got the mail last night but the last date to accept along with $2500 is 28.4.2011. This is not done as when i inquired them about the delay in process they mailed that we will get time till 15th may. What kind of management is this. Is there anyone else who will be facing problem because of such a short deadline.

Hi,

I have seen courses in concentration area of Columbia FE and some of the courses are really interesting like
IEOR E4722: Algorithmic Trading
IEOR E4731: Credit Risk Modeling and Credit Derivatives
IEOR E4720: Commodity Derivatives
IEOR E4500: Applications Programming for FE

Can we also take these subjects (MSOR). If one intends to be a derivative trader or go into quant side what are the subjects one should think of opting. As per my understanding we have only 4 mandatory courses and rest are optional. Please comment:-

Back