• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Anyone else headed to Columbia MSOR?

Hi folks,

Just wanted to start a thread for anyone that is headed to Columbia MSOR, so maybe we can get to know each other or chat about the program itself before the start of the program.

To start off, just some basic info about me -
Went to a state school through an Air Force scholarship, then commissioned as an officer. Stationed in Texas for 4 years (where I received my MBA using military benefits). Did a tour in Afghanistan (best job I ever had), and then got stationed in Boston. Separated from the military and now going to UMass to work on all the pre-reqs required for MSMF, MSOR, and others. Thinking about going into S/T, Asset Management, or consulting.

Would like to hear about anyone else going to the program.

Hey Andy,

The sole Yes was me, so I guess others are probably still waiting. I wanted to start this thread since class size is relatively large so knowing a few folks going in would be good.

I also interviewed and got in today. I have a BS in Mech E and a minor in Management Science from a top public university in California. Was TA for 2 courses in the engineering department, and a couple of internships with wealth management and investment management firms. Still not too sure about fully committing yet, but I really like the flexibility the program provides. There are so many courses to choose from!

I got in but I'm not going to choose it, would choose MSFE, though :(

Hey onthesc,

If you don't mind sharing, which school did you go to? The reason I asked is that I grew up in California (Chino Hills by Riverside), and a good number of my friends went to UCI, a couple to UCLA and some to UC Berkeley. All great schools. I also like the flexibility of the MSOR program, and the elective courses are phenomenal. And a good chunk of them are only 1.5 cr hrs, so one can load up on them if he/she so choose.

roni,

Sorry the CU's programs didn't work out for you. Where do you think you will be attending?

Hi folks,

Just wanted to start a thread for anyone that is headed to Columbia MSOR, so maybe we can get to know each other or chat about the program itself before the start of the program.

To start off, just some basic info about me -
Went to a state school through an Air Force scholarship, then commissioned as an officer. Stationed in Texas for 4 years (where I received my MBA using military benefits). Did a tour in Afghanistan (best job I ever had), and then got stationed in Boston. Separated from the military and now going to UMass to work on all the pre-reqs required for MSMF, MSOR, and others. Thinking about going into S/T, Asset Management, or consulting.

Would like to hear about anyone else going to the program.

Your background seems is really cool and seems like you want to go into S&T, AM or consulting. How come you picked MSOR over MBA or MFin programs?

Hey Joy,

I already have a MBA (so really no point getting another), and just really didn't like most of the soft classes (marketing, org behavior, etc). And funny you mentioned MFin, because I was actually accepted into the program at Boston College last year, but decided against it since I was initially tasked to deploy back to Afghanistan. One thing led to another, and they let me separate from the military instead to back to school. After I looked around on Quantnet and individual programs' websites, decided to go with the MSOR program since I can tailor it to something I want, which was a mix of finance/applied science/math courses. I was also accepted in BU's MSMF program (which is a great program by the way, went in for a class visit and came away very impressed), but decided it didn't quite fit me and my experience. Also, since my family is in Atlanta, I might decide to go back that way and the MSOR gives me some additional options beside finance (although highly doubtful, I do like some other options just in case)

Do you and the other Brauch folks get together much? Would love to meet some of you once I get to NY.

Hey Joy,

I already have a MBA (so really no point getting another), and just really didn't like most of the soft classes (marketing, org behavior, etc). And funny you mentioned MFin, because I was actually accepted into the program at Boston College last year, but decided against it since I was initially tasked to deploy back to Afghanistan. One thing led to another, and they let me separate from the military instead to back to school. After I looked around on Quantnet and individual programs' websites, decided to go with the MSOR program since I can tailor it to something I want, which was a mix of finance/applied science/math courses. I was also accepted in BU's MSMF program (which is a great program by the way, went in for a class visit and came away very impressed), but decided it didn't quite fit me and my experience. Also, since my family is in Atlanta, I might decide to go back that way and the MSOR gives me some additional options beside finance (although highly doubtful, I do like some other options just in case)

Do you and the other Brauch folks get together much? Would love to meet some of you once I get to NY.

Sorry, you did mention you had an MBA already. We all do get together a lot. We will be having a Quantnet meetup for drinks on April 2nd in Mid-town NYC. Feel free to drop by.

Unfortunately, I will still be in Boston at that time, but once I get to NY sometime in Aug, I will definitely pay attention to the posts and come out for a meet.

onthesc,

Good deal, what HS did you go to? I went to Ayala but I am a little older so things are probably not the same back there anymore. UCSD is a great school, their eng department is pretty top notched from what I heard. And I am sure it has a fabulous social scene.

I also got the same impression of BU's program. A little too theoretically math heavy for me (I am more of a applied type of guy, probably due to my military background), but definitely a very strong program especially under the care and management of their business school. But like you said, Columbia simply suits me better.

I probably won't get up there until June for a visit, and then move for good in August some time. What other programs are you thinking about?

onthesc,

Ah I had some friends that went to DBHS, but that was long time ago. Ayala do have a nice campus, and had a good mixture of sports teams. I do remember Del Taco (if I remember it correctly, it is down by the LA fitness and all that), but I miss In N Out the most. UCSD is still nice tho, close by the beach.

So classes. I will definitely take derivatives pricing courses, but not too sure on optimization courses (but there are some overlaps in each category so not a huge difference, like asset allocation which I will be taking). Since I want to go into AM with a quantitative twist, I am also going to take some courses under the Corporate Finance category. Also saw a behavioral finance course under the MBA program and will try to see if I can take that. Game Theoretic Models of Operation under Applied Prob sounds pretty interesting too. Really, tons of interesting courses. You plan on taking intro to FE?

I am going to go 1.5 years, since I don't have a finance work background so an internship can only help me. Do you want to be a Quant after you graduate? NYU has a great program, and if you do want to be a quant, that is one of the better programs as I understand.

Oh, and I plan on taking more than the required 30 cr hrs. That way, I can make it into 3 full semesters.

Yes.. you will have to pay more tuition if you want to go above 30-point requirement..... they bill your tuition on per-point basis.

Andy,

Oh great, I will definitely try to make that, especially I have never been to central park before. Only been to NYC once on a 4 of July weekend.

Hey!

Can anyone help me out with the kind of questions asked in a Columbia MSOR interview? I was redirected to the course after a reject from their MSFE Program and have to give them a call today regarding the MSOR admission.

Also, I am extremely confused whether I should go in for Columbia MSOR( if I get in), BU Math Fin or Rutgers Math Fin. I am waiting on Cornell and NYU but not very hopeful.

My profile: Undergraduate: Major in Chemical Engineering from Mumbai University, India.
Aggregate: 72% ( finished 3rd in class) ; GRE :1410 (Q:800; V:610; AWA:3.5)

Hey Janhavi,

For the interview, these were the 4 questions they asked me (you can also look at the MSOR admits on the tracker) - why Columbia MSOR, career choice afterward, what other programs did I apply to, how do I intend to fund it.

I really can't help you on where you should go, since I believe that is a personal choice (what you want to do for a career, want to focus on while you are at the respective programs, etc) and Quantnet has all the info you ever need to help you make that crucial decision. I listed the reasons why I am going to the MSOR program on this thread.

But again, I came away very impressed with BU's program after my class visit last month. The business school's management is very focused, and they do have a dedicated career service office that works with MSMF students only (which the MSOR program doesn't have, but that's not a huge worry of mine since if you are proactive you can overcome that).

Best of luck to you.

Back