• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Anyone else headed to Columbia MSOR?

Hey paintvintage,

Great background! After your one year is up, are you going to try to stay in the states? What classes are you looking to take?

I am actually going to do 36 credits over 1.5 years to allow for an internship over the summer. If I land a job at the end of the program then I will stay back. Umm about the courses, Im taking Intro to Prob & Stat now so will waive that. For the rest, Im considering Intro to FE, but I definitely need to sit and see what path fits my interest best. I'll keep you posted on this.

@paintvintage,

Sounds like a good plan, as the 1.5 year plan is what I am going to do also. Let us know when you will be arriving to NY and maybe we can meet up along with the others.

@Biswas Garg,
It's up to you, you can make it into 2 semesters, or 3 semesters.

Hi, Forza! I am Fan, just got accepted into the MSOR program and will most likely go there.
I got my bachelor's degree in agricultural economics in China, and master's degree in sociology at Purdue in US. This time, so far, I have also got into two other master's programs: statistics at Columbia, and survey methodology at Maryland.
To be honest, I know little about the program or the industry, but I just want to find a job in finance or consulting.
Guess we can share more.

Hi Fan,

Interesting background you got. I sent you a PM to discuss with you more.

Let me know when you guys receive the official packet from Columbia please. I'm waiting, not very patiently.

For those who chose MSOR, are you interested in quant finance?

@onthesc,

Not yet, will let you know once I get it.

@roni,

Not a pure quant, I am shooting for asset management or S/T. I just like how the MSOR program fits with my background. If I am correct, you will be going to Cornell?

@Forza
Well, I got into Cornell, Baruch and Columbia, but most likely I'll choose Baruch. I just don't like Cornell's curriculum. I don't think it will prepare me for the quant field, on the other hand, I think Baruch will.

Good luck!

@roni,

Congrats on all three of your admits! I have not done a lot of research into their curriculum, but it seems like Baruch does the best job in preparing you for quant roles. Their placement rates are simply phenomenal and you can't go wrong with it in NYC.

Best of luck to you, and maybe I'll meet you in the future in one of the meet ups.

@roni,

Congrats on all three of your admits! I have not done a lot of research into their curriculum, but it seems like Baruch does the best job in preparing you for quant roles. Their placement rates are simply phenomenal and you can't go wrong with it in NYC.

Best of luck to you, and maybe I'll meet you in the future in one of the meet ups.

Thanks, hope to meet you, too :)

Agree, it's always good to keep it friendly. The field of finance is relatively small, and you never know who you might need a favor from one day. Plus, we are all here to help each other out. ;)

onthesc, I also had the chance today to come up with a list of courses I plan on taking at MSOR. I am pretty excited, lots of great courses. Let me know when you are ready to chat on that.

Hi ,
I am ishant a new member with an admit from columbia MSOR from india. I am a btech in information technology with 1.5 years in exp with a software firm. I have got email stating that columbia is in process of verifying documents (does anyone else has got the same mail.). I want to know more about this programe and the career it offers post MS. I am specially interested in its finance optional part and want to pursue a career in finance, so please tell me what could be the career ahead. I really appreciate the efforts of people like forza , andy who share really good information . So guys please help me out so that i can plan out my study in columbia

Hi,

Is there anyone who has got confirmation mail regarding Columbia OR admit. As a last update from university i got a mail saying they are in verification process of my documents and will send an official confirmation after that in max 2 weeks. I got this mail on 1 april and its been 15 days that i have not heard from them. So is there anyone who has got offical acceptance mail.

I too got that email. They need official documents and $2500 deposit in 15 May. Is it the same ?

@Andy thank you . I have read many post by you and they are really very informative

@ descendents i have not got this email stating official documents and $2500 deposit in 15 May. When did you get this email.

i got mail stating -----------------------
We are pleased to inform you that you have been recommended for admission to Columbia University's M.S. program in Operations Research.

The Office of Graduate Student Services (GSS) is in the process of verifying your required application documents for official admission. This process can take around two weeks. When completed, an official admission letter will be sent to you by regular mail. Should any documents still be required by GSS to process your official admission, you will be contacted by email to resolve any issues.
--------------------------------------------------
only this on 1 april and after that nothing. Please tell me when did you receive mail that you have mentioned, i guess that is an official admit

Back