• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Anyone else headed to Columbia MSOR?

@ishant, my deadline to respond is also 4/28.

BTW all, it looks like it might be difficult to secure student housing through UAH, though it is still worth it to apply. I'd have some backup plans in case you don't get an assignment.

Hmm well I figured it's easier through Columbia to get a roommate vs going on craigslist or trying to find some random person on the internet to get an apartment together. I wonder how much cheaper it would be to find a private apartment by Morningside Heights vs the Columbia-owned UAH. I was under the impression that Columbia UAH would be cheaper, but let me know if I'm wrong.

I asked about housing from a current student and he said off campus living is around 200 - 300 cheaper, if 3 people are sharing 2bhk.

Yes it will be cheaper if 3 people are sharing a 2 bhk. However that would mean one of you would either sleep in the living room or double up with the other, which isn't ideal for me. I'm mainly looking at arrangements where all of us get a bedroom. Though I have heard Columbia housings aren't of the best quality, but heck it's student housing, can't ask for too much if the price is right.

You won't get much luck with campus housing as priority are on PhD, BSc students who will study there for at least 4 years. If you are going to stay in NYC for work, it's a good idea to start looking for your own apt now.

Yeah I figured. I might actually get a 3 bedroom together with some friends in midtown, and just do the ~15 min commute up to MH everyday. Not too sure how much more expensive it would be though.

Travel up north into the Bronx and you can get a one BR, studio for around $1,100/month. You pay for convenience, short commute with a high price of cost and space. Sharing may work for 20-something, not ideal for others. Your roommates may get a SO and move out leaving you shouldering the full rent.
Having your own apt in NYC is a badge or adulthood.

Travel up north into the Bronx and you can get a one BR, studio for around $1,100/month. You pay for convenience, short commute with a high price of cost and space. Sharing may work for 20-something, not ideal for others. Your roommates may get a SO and move out leaving you shouldering the full rent.
Having your own apt in NYC is a badge or adulthood.

Hamilton Heights (140s-150s, B'way and Amsterdam) and Inwood (180s + on the west side) are up and coming neighbourhoods. I was living in HH briefly when I was at Columbia and a 2bed was going for around $1500. You can also consider living in Manhattan Valley (on the east side of Morningside Park 100th-120th sts)

Hey! So, the OCHA is a good (safe) option as opposed to Craigslist. I found the place I currently stay in, via the website and its only a 10 min walk from School.
http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/intro-ocha-3
You need your UNI to log in but I think the e-mail they sent us (or was it on the applyyourself system?) has a username and password that we can use for the time being.

another problem is that IEOR 4701/IEOR 4706 are only offered in summer to accomodate course schedule for MSFE, so I doubt you'd be able to take them as pre-req for 4707/4709/4710/4731 as MSOR. But you can always take more basic FE classes like 4700 and 4620. These are open to all IEOR people.

Hi,
Is there anyone who is facing problem with submitting $2500 by 1 credit card. Actually i dont have any credit card having limit more than $2000. Any suggestion how can i pay the fee. I mailed them stating that can i slipt this payment in 2 credit cards but they refused. Please suggest any other way. Columbia university is highly incooperative

Maybe send them a check or EFT it? Have you talked to them about other options?

Hi,
Is there anyone who is facing problem with submitting $2500 by 1 credit card. Actually i dont have any credit card having limit more than $2000. Any suggestion how can i pay the fee. I mailed them stating that can i slipt this payment in 2 credit cards but they refused. Please suggest any other way. Columbia university is highly incooperative
Hey apply for a credit limit increment and ask for an extension stating the same. The university is highly cooperative and provided me with an extension of 10 days, as I also had same problem.

I have stated my reason to them and asked for extension but they are not willing to provide me with an extension.

Hey ishant,

Did you speak with Adina? She has help me throughout this whole process, and I bet she can provide you with some assistance...

Back