• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Anyone else headed to Columbia MSOR?

Hey everyone!

So glad to see you guys here chatting all about going MSOR at Columbia and housing issues. I also got into the program and have paid $2500 to enroll in Fall 2011.
I am graduating this May with BS in Mathematics and Statistics and minor in Actuarial Science in Miami University. BTW, I am an international student from China. I am new to this area and just have taken 2 intro courses on the topic of operation research (stochastic process and deterministic modeling). I found both quite interesting.

With respect to housing, there is an "international house" for graduate students which is also very close to campus. I am going to visit NYC after my graduation ceremony and try to check it out.

Hi Catche nice to hear that you are coming welcome to the club.
Tell me when have you taken 2 intro classes

Hey guys,

Where do you accept/deny the offer?

Thanks.

@roni, did you get an email from seasgradmit giving you a link to view your letter? in the letter there is a link to the accept/deny form.

@roni,

there is a link between them that says

Decision Status: Available beginning 4/18/2011
Your application decision is now available online

Hi Catche nice to hear that you are coming welcome to the club.

Tell me when have you taken 2 intro classes

@ishant

Thanks! I took stochastic modeling in fall 2010 and currently taking deterministic modeling in this semester, both from computer science department.

Thats nice could you please tell which books are you referring ( Some basic material) if one wants to get prepared for the program

Thats nice could you please tell which books are you referring ( Some basic material) if one wants to get prepared for the program

The professor used the same book for both courses : "Operations Research: Applications and Algorithms", W. A. Winston, 4th Edition, Thomson, 2004. The topics in the courses covered several chapters in the book. It is a quite great book with clear examples and texture, though it is very expensive.

anyone received their package? (there suppose to be one right?)

I ono it looks like everything is online... I wouldn't count on receiving a package in the mail, though I will hope.

@ All is the present job scene really bad after MSOR from columbia.
@Andy and @Forza please through some light on this.

ishant,

The topic has been discussed many times on qnet. Do a search, and I am sure you can come up with some answers to your question.

Forza i have read them but i want to know the present trend. You are there you can tell us is it improving or in stagnant stage. I have got mixed impression by reading them and people also don't have a good opinion whom i have talked with.

ishant,

If you read all my posts, I am actually not there right now. I am an ingoing student just like you bubba.

Back