• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Anyone get UCB MFE admission with one interview?

I saw some updates in tracking system. Do anyone get admission with just one technical interview?

Yes, I know an applicant who got just one technical interview with a current student. He emailed UCB MFE that he got admitted to MIT and needs a quick decision before MIT offer deadline. He didn't hear anything back from them. Today when he logged in their system and found that it was changed to Admit.
He is going to MIT so he was a bit amused when he found out today.

Yes, I know an applicant who got just one technical interview with a current student. He emailed UCB MFE that he got admitted to MIT and needs a quick decision before MIT offer deadline. He didn't hear anything back from them. Today when he logged in their system and found that it was changed to Admit.
He is going to MIT so he was a bit amused when he found out today.

Thanks. I think i will get CMU offer because I got interview and did it well. Do you think I can use that to push them?

The question is why haven't you. Leveraging one program's offer at other programs for quicker responses, better financial packages is a long accepted practice. Applicants to universities have done this for ages.

Remember you are the paying customers and have all the leverage and not at the mercy or whim of any program. If you are not comfortable asking them to give you faster communication on the decision NOW, how are you going to ask them for more important things like internship/job support LATER?

Lastly, it is encouraged that if you have offer deadlines, you should tell the programs so they can put it on an express line. Not every program will honor this practice but they should not use this against you in any way.
There are many better programs out there so you have to optimize your time. Get them to work for you, not the other way around.

I think i will get CMU offer because I got interview and did it well.

Perception and reality are two different things. Good luck though.

Do you think I can use that to push them?

Use as much leverage as you can, but remember to be willing to back away if they don't come through.

Using leverage of other big names to get into a good school is fun. It gets even more fun when you're in the job market with a few big name offers and you use it to get more offers and get others to match the packages.

Berkeley has released their admissions decisions on the online application. It looks like they may be mailing us the decisions by paper mail instead of email.

Berkeley has released their admissions decisions on the online application. It looks like they may be mailing us the decisions by paper mail instead of email.
How do you know that? What's your current application status?

Congrats bronson. Mine still says "Under Review". :(
Could you please let me know when was your status changed? Should I contact them directly and ask about the status?

The question is why haven't you. Leveraging one program's offer at other programs for quicker responses, better financial packages is a long accepted practice. Applicants to universities have done this for ages.

Remember you are the paying customers and have all the leverage and not at the mercy or whim of any program. If you are not comfortable asking them to give you faster communication on the decision NOW, how are you going to ask them for more important things like internship/job support LATER?

Lastly, it is encouraged that if you have offer deadlines, you should tell the programs so they can put it on an express line. Not every program will honor this practice but they should not use this against you in any way.
There are many better programs out there so you have to optimize your time. Get them to work for you, not the other way around.

Hi Andy, I have a question regarding this "leveraging one program's offer at other programs" practice. Do you think there will be non-negative effect if I present those big name schools such as CMU, UC Berkeley, and NYU with admission from schools like Baruch and Rutgers? I know Baruch is really a elite program and Rutgers is doing very well, but I wonder if the admission committees at those three schools would think so...

@bronson : Did you accept your MFE offer at UCB? I got an admit too and I will be joining MFE next spring.

Back