• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anyone got Columbia MFE interview?

Is anyone willing to share interview experience with us? I would appreciate it.

The interviewer was a current student in MS&E at Columbia.

He started with an introduction of himself and asked me for an introduction of myself. He asked me who else I've applied to and where Columbia ranks on that list. I was asked how I define success and then professionalism. These are all the questions I can remember. It wasn't technical at all so I guess that makes preparation simpler.

I also got an offer the same day of the interview luckily enough. Good luck to everyone!

Hope this helped.

The interviewer was a current student in MS&E at Columbia.

He started with an introduction of himself and asked me for an introduction of myself. He asked me who else I've applied to and where Columbia ranks on that list. I was asked how I define success and then professionalism. These are all the questions I can remember. It wasn't technical at all so I guess that makes preparation simpler.

I also got an offer the same day of the interview luckily enough. Good luck to everyone!

Hope this helped.
Thanks very much ! Congratulations !

So anxious...
seems many ppl got interview invitations... wish everyone best of luck
could someone share what their application status tab shows... is it supposed to show application under review or sth like that... mine just shows the checklist of tasks of application with three green checks aside the three items and nothing else... does this mean my application hasnt got reviewed or ... many thanks... :)

So anxious...
seems many ppl got interview invitations... wish everyone best of luck
could someone share what their application status tab shows... is it supposed to show application under review or sth like that... mine just shows the checklist of tasks of application with three green checks aside the three items and nothing else... does this mean my application hasnt got reviewed or ... many thanks... :)

I cannot see any change in application status tab after I received interview invitation.

There are no words saying that 'under review' or anything else.

I also have just three green checks.

I cannot see any change in application status tab after I received interview invitation.

There are no words saying that 'under review' or anything else.

I also have just three green checks.

Hey, thanks so much for verifying that for me... then I guess I dont have a way to track to see whether they reviewed my profile or not... hopefully hear sth from them soon...

Fingers crossed on your application... :)

By the way guys, if you've received an email saying you are invited for an interview and can't see an 'Interview' tab next to the 'Application' tab, email seasgradmit@columbia.edu telling them the problem.

That's what I did and the tab appeared a couple of hours later. They emailed me today apologizing for the error on their part.

I'd recommend all of you do this so that you can have your interview sooner and have a better chance of getting an admit.

Good Luck.

anxious also...hoping still have a chance for interview
on the same boat...
based on the interview questions ppl shared on the forum, I suspect interview itself is not that important in admission process, its really difficult for ppl to stand out from behavioral questions as they are subjective in nature plus the interviewers are current students...
the important thing is to get the interview invitation I guess...
remain positive and optimistic :)

Last edited:
By the way guys, if you've received an email saying you are invited for an interview and can't see an 'Interview' tab next to the 'Application' tab, email seasgradmit@columbia.edu telling them the problem.

That's what I did and the tab appeared a couple of hours later. They emailed me today apologizing for the error on their part.

I'd recommend all of you do this so that you can have your interview sooner and have a better chance of getting an admit.

Good Luck.

Who will interview you? student from MSFE or MSOR?

It's with an IEOR ambassador which could be any student, on the MS or PhD in the department. Mine was with an MS&E student.

It's with an IEOR ambassador which could be any student, on the MS or PhD in the department. Mine was with an MS&E student.

I see. As I am thinking the MSFE may have fewer students which may delay the interview process.

Back