• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anyone got Columbia MFE interview?

Hey guys, I am just wondering anyone who has already interviewed heard back from Columbia? (of course except the guy who got admitted already... ) I interviewed a week from now and still have not heard back from them. A bit worried...
On the same boat. I guess we will have to be patient.

Anyone received invitation this week? I am wondering if they have finished sending all? thanks!

A student at Columbia told me that last year the admits were sent within two days of the interview and a delay indicated redirection to MSOR or a rejection. However, this year a lot of people (including me) have already interviewed with an IEOR ambassador but very few have receieved admits. The student indicated that admits might be sent in bulk this time. No idea when though...

The interviewer was a current student in MS&E at Columbia.

He started with an introduction of himself and asked me for an introduction of myself. He asked me who else I've applied to and where Columbia ranks on that list. I was asked how I define success and then professionalism. These are all the questions I can remember. It wasn't technical at all so I guess that makes preparation simpler.

I also got an offer the same day of the interview luckily enough. Good luck to everyone!

Hope this helped.

Hi PraveenK, did you request an early decision from Columbia? I noticed that you got an offer from IC in Jan...

Hi PraveenK, did you request an early decision from Columbia? I noticed that you got an offer from IC in Jan...

I did ask whether I could be notified ASAP as I had another offer waiting. I was told they'd see what they could do as they were already issuing invites. So maybe I was given an early decision, I really don't know.

I did ask whether I could be notified ASAP as I had another offer waiting. I was told they'd see what they could do as they were already issuing invites. So maybe I was given an early decision, I really don't know.

Thank you for your reply. I guess the rest of us will hear back from the adcom next week.

Anyone received invitation this week? I am wondering if they have finished sending all? thanks!
Based on previous years tracker, it seems they've sent out nearly all invitations this year if the program remains the same size.

Based on previous years tracker, it seems they've sent out nearly all invitations this year if the program remains the same size.
I am not quite sure about that. I counted 21 interview this year. Last year Columbia interviewed 45 ppl and admitted 31. Interview invitations are quite late this year. The first interview is at Feb 13. In 2014, the first interview is at Feb 03.

Of course, there are tons of factors that can affect the interview count. It is possible that Columbia only interview students they will probably admit this year. It is also possible that the review process is late and there will be more interviews later. Also possible that the class size shrink. Or maybe this year ppl just don't want to update Quantnet tracker.

I guess there is nothing to do but wait and pray...

I am not quite sure about that. I counted 21 interview this year. Last year Columbia interviewed 45 ppl and admitted 31. Interview invitations are quite late this year. The first interview is at Feb 13. In 2014, the first interview is at Feb 03.

Of course, there are tons of factors that can affect the interview count. It is possible that Columbia only interview students they will probably admit this year. It is also possible that the review process is late and there will be more interviews later. Also possible that the class size shrink. Or maybe this year ppl just don't want to update Quantnet tracker.

I guess there is nothing to do but wait and pray...

Yes you might be right. I did not count the numbers but I found out that most last year's interviews were sent out from Feb 3 to Feb 18 so I thought though this year's interview was late, the most interviews should be sent out during two weeks too..

Hey, I got interview invitation email today... they are still sending invitations out... best of luck

Thanks man, though I had my interview 2 weeks ago and was asking about the result notification. Good luck.

If one chooses to graduate in August (1 year) from Columbia's MFE, can one fit in a summer internship in his curriculum? What if one chooses to graduate earlier in June?
Hows tha placements like in summer internships? Heard, not many people get a chance to do internships, only a few do it.

Back