• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anyone got Columbia MFE interview?

well the program is meant to be 1 year program. but many people want an additional semester so they can be eligible for internship.
if you want just one year program, then you are unlikely to get an internship at good firms. that is tradeoff.

well the program is meant to be 1 year program. but many people want an additional semester so they can be eligible for internship.
if you want just one year program, then you are unlikely to get an internship at good firms. that is tradeoff.
Then graduate from Columbia MFE directly apply for FT afterwards if they dont choose intern... is there a placement stats...

I don't know if they have. But based on what I know, unless you have relevant experience, it is very difficult to get full time offers without internships. I would imagine it is even more difficult if u r international student

I don't know if they have. But based on what I know, unless you have relevant experience, it is very difficult to get full time offers without internships. I would imagine it is even more difficult if u r international student

I agree... I thought most MFE programs do include a mandatory internship as part of the program throughout their offerings... given the job market so competitive + visa restriction for internationals... I would imagine it would be tough for a graduate without any experience...

Well, MIT for that matter does not have internship in their year long curriculum, and they have been able to place international ppl with zero work experience.
Columbia does not publish their stats, so we dont know. But, i heard, ppl can fit internship in their curriculum if they choose to graduate in August. Have basically seen mixed responses on this issue. Very unfortunate, that a so-called ivy league b school does not clarify how many ppl were actually able to secure internships before the term ends

I agree... I thought most MFE programs do include a mandatory internship as part of the program throughout their offerings... given the job market so competitive + visa restriction for internationals... I would imagine it would be tough for a graduate without any experience...
Well I don't think that is possible for mfe programs to guarantee an internship for every student. Only Princeton mfin and Columbia business school MSFE have that requirement.

Well, MIT for that matter does not have internship in their year long curriculum, and they have been able to place international ppl with zero work experience.
Columbia does not publish their stats, so we dont know. But, i heard, ppl can fit internship in their curriculum if they choose to graduate in August. Have basically seen mixed responses on this issue. Very unfortunate, that a so-called ivy league b school does not clarify how many ppl were actually able to secure internships before the term ends
Well, thats another thing... MIT program is business school based(sloan)...
Business school offers a better career services compared to Engineering or Math department... as of its broad candidate based - more ppl from management with a variety of backgrounds... having said that, UCB MFE on the other hand has mandatory Interns with excellent stats but candidates went to that program with an average of 3 years FT experience already.

Hi Folks

Just joined Quantnet. I also received an interview invite, Completed my interview on 16th Feb but have not heard from them yet. My interviewer was an MS-OR student in her second semester. Keeping fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone.

Well, thats another thing... MIT program is business school based(sloan)...
Business school offers a better career services compared to Engineering or Math department... as of its broad candidate based - more ppl from management with a variety of backgrounds... having said that, UCB MFE on the other hand has mandatory Interns with excellent stats but candidates went to that program with an average of 3 years FT experience already.
Also note ucb has a different academic calendar than the typical program. They start in March or something. Typical one year program runs from sep to may. So summer is not included.

I was told by the interviewer. She seemed a little conservative so I would say this week or next is our best bet.

So far it seems that 6 out of 13 people who interviewed after 22nd have been admitted, while 4 out of 18 who interviewed before 22nd have been admitted, so i guess you might be able to get the result quite soon.

So far it seems that 6 out of 13 people who interviewed after 22nd have been admitted, while 4 out of 18 who interviewed before 22nd have been admitted, so i guess you might be able to get the result quite soon.

Hope so, the waiting is the worst part. ToT

For those who get admitted, do you know by what time we should send them the official transcript. Because I am still having my undergrad study, I will not be able to provide a final transcript before July. Will this affect my enrollment?

For those who get admitted, do you know by what time we should send them the official transcript. Because I am still having my undergrad study, I will not be able to provide a final transcript before July. Will this affect my enrollment?

Yeah I'm in the same situation as you buddy. They haven't sent me further information after I accepted the offer so I'm not too sure what to send them but I'm sure an up-to-date transcript would be fine.

Yeah I'm in the same situation as you buddy. They haven't sent me further information after I accepted the offer so I'm not too sure what to send them but I'm sure an up-to-date transcript would be fine.
Thanks PraveenK. Do you know an exact deadline for an up-to-date transcript? My situation might be a bit difficult. When I entered my uni, I was under a four-year program where I obtained BA at third year and a master's at fourth year. Of course, I am allowed to leave with a BA this year. But by now, I am still officially registered as a four-year program student and the date of graduation shown on my transcript is still in 2016. I have contacted the school for changing my status of the course and they are doing it for me now. But I do not know when the official change can be made. I am afraid that I cannot meet their deadline of receiving an official transcript with the correct degree conferral date.

Back