• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM Anyone heard back from UChicago

Hi, I submitted on Jan.14, but still didn't hear anything today. Is this normal? Cuz I know lots of people get offers today. Thx.

Same here. Submitted on the last day. No update today. So is it possible that the admits released today are the ones with fellowship/scholarship?

Same here. Submitted on the last day. No update today. So is it possible that the admits released today are the ones with fellowship/scholarship?
Yeap, that was what I was trying to find out with my previous question. I imagine the ones coming out today is the ones with significant scholarship with a bigger batch of less scholarship/no scholarship coming soon.

EDIT: It seems as if someone on the tracker got a 35% scholarship today, so I imagine the second batch, so to speak, will be the ones with no scholarship.

Last edited:
Yeap, that was what I was trying to find out with my previous question. I imagine the ones coming out today is the ones with significant scholarship with a bigger batch of less scholarship/no scholarship coming soon.

EDIT: It seems as if someone on the tracker got a 35% scholarship today, so I imagine the second batch, so to speak, will be the ones with no scholarship.
I was admitted today and also received the 70% scholarship if that helps with your analysis.

It’s tough, I work in Chicago so the option to do part time in the program would mean I don’t need to leave my job to do this, so financially it would be a steal...
If you don't mind me asking, what is the temperature of UChicago in firms such as yours? I have done my research on these programs, but you seem to have strong industry knowledge, would appreciate your insight!

Edit: this was defintley vague. More or less asking, what is the overall perception when it is being compared to the Columbia's, CMU's, etc. within firms such as yours, and is the difference negligible.

Last edited:
Temperature of the program or university? In any case my experience is limited to the prop trading firms that my friends from high school/ college ended up at as well as my own.

My firm in particular cares a lot more about strong programming experience over financial knowledge so we typically don’t recruit researchers out of MFE programs. That being said, if we come across a candidate with a MFE (I.e from UChicago) and they have like python / Java / c++ splattered all over their CV we will 100% interview them because it’s rare to find a good developer with strong finance background knowledge out the gate. Like to be clear when I say strong programming knowledge, I mean someone who has the equivalent experience of a computer science undergrad or entry level software engineer which sadly most MFE programs do not give ( you can build up this skill set yourself however and demonstrate it in a number of ways).

To be clear, I don’t think most of the top firms in the city like citadel, optiver, IMC, DRW, jump, flow, or others are going out of their way to interview MFE candidates in general. Firms definitely do value UChicago as a brand name since it’s the top local university and a renowned financial institution.

Back