• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF Anyone still waiting for NYU MSMF?

What a dilemma!
What made you so sure about CMU and now you are no longer so certain?
Do you feel comfortable with the info/research you have done about each program?

Since I was on the waitlist for NYU, the choice was between Columbia MFE and CMU MSCF and between the two CMU MSCF is by far the better program in terms of career services ( I was told by a couple of Columbia MFE alumni not to attend the program because of the lack of good career services)

But the opinion on NYU vs. CMU is very fragmented and alumni from each program seem to suggest that theirs is a better program. The main points that I am considering are:
1) Studying in Piitsburgh vs. New York ( I know that CMU has a NY campus but I want to study in a regular campus).` Staying in New York would allow me to network better.
2) Reputation on the Wall Street - Though CMU MSMF is an older program and has more alumni, NYU (as a university) has a better reputation.
3) Job profiles - Though CMU is very transparent about the placement, NYU does not publish detailed statistics. When I asked an admission committee member, I was told that such statistics are not available. Though, my research tells me that the placements at NYU are also great, I am not quite sure about the kind of job profiles that people land into.

Would be helpful if you had some info on the placement stats of NYU.

All I read about NYU placement stat is via word of mouth. I mentioned this to those in charge there and we'll see if change is coming.

CMU MSCF alumni seem to suggest that CMU places more students in S&T roles while NYU places most students in quant roles. Are these claims correct as per the information you have?

CMU MSCF alumni seem to suggest that CMU places more students in S&T roles while NYU places most students in quant roles. Are these claims correct as per the information you have?
The "S&T roles" is a misleading term. It does not mean CMU students more likely to end up as Sales and Trading roles. Or NYU students are more likely to end up in quant positions. With the lack of detailed placement information, I can't tell otherwise.

Both programs have the current students' names on their website. A quick LinkedIn search will clarify a lot of this issue. Time to hit the web and do some research yourself.

Hi Andy. I have applied to NYU full time. Replies from Melissa: Waitlist and still asked to wait for final decision. I have another offer from Rutgers MSMF. As I am currently outside US, I have to apply for VISA. In your view, what should I do? Should I go forward with VISA on the I-20 issued by Rutgers or wait for NYU? Any chances that the waitlist candidates still have a shot?

The Tracker still shows pending cases from NYU MSFM.
If your time is too far out of the average (in this case 90 days), you should have taken action. My advice is to look at the average time it takes from submission to decision. This number shows on the top of the tracker. When you are close to that number, prepare to contact them if you are too far behind in the process.

Back