• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF Anyone still waiting for NYU MSMF?

What's GSAS?

Don't you think that putting pressure on them might lead to a "No Admit"?

GSAS stands for Graduate school of art and sciences. Seems like all the rej letters come from them and the acceptance letters come from Melissa...

People worry about pressing schools for a quicker response may get backfired should keep in mind that you are only comminicating with the administrative layer, not the higher up that makes this admission decisions. So for example, at NYU you are emailing Melissa and GSAS people who only are conduit to the process. The decisions rest with the program director, faculty.
If your request warrants some merit, they will put your files to be reviewed quicker. They may not.
The point is it does not hurt to comminicate your situation and hope that the programs will accommodate you.

Hey ..... I am just wondering if there is anyone still waiting for NYU at this point.. or my admission is omitted ...

I called and left few messages and I also emailed them. However, they didn't get back to me at all. I knew that most admission decisions came out couple weeks ago. I am just feeling a little disappointed.... :(

Hey ..... I am just wondering if there is anyone still waiting for NYU at this point.. or my admission is omitted ...

I called and left few messages and I also emailed them. However, they didn't get back to me at all. I knew that most admission decisions came out couple weeks ago. I am just feeling a little disappointed.... :(
Not sure if you are full-time or part-time, but I was told part-time admissions come out closer to the deadline in August.

Congrats, you did good.
I see you picked CMU among admits of NYU, Columbia MFE, Cornell FE

Well I had made up my mind to attend CMU MSCF. Now that I have received an admit from NYU MSMF, I am very confused between CMU and NYU

In my position, I can't make any statement that can be seen as endorsement of one program over another. I can only say that among the NYC-based programs, CMU has a good career services structure that works for them. Things like having regular mock interviews, resume workshop or a dedicated career person is rather basic component of business school but not many MFE programs have it.

Keep in mind the incoming class profile. If they are comprised of 90% students from China/India with no work experience, it will impact your experience in the program in a lot of ways.
These are the people you would spend majority of your next 2 years with so you want to feel comfortable among each other and have great relationships with. These are people who should have you on quick dials if a job opens up. This is your first and most important layer of professional networking contacts.

A lot of programs are similar in what they teach you but these subtle points are what makes one program great and another so-so.

In my position, I can't make any statement that can be seen as endorsement of one program over another. I can only say that among the NYC-based programs, CMU has a good career services structure that works for them. Things like having regular mock interviews, resume workshop or a dedicated career person is rather basic component of business school but not many MFE programs have it.

Keep in mind the incoming class profile. If they are comprised of 90% students from China/India with no work experience, it will impact your experience in the program in a lot of ways.
These are the people you would spend majority of your next 2 years with so you want to feel comfortable among each other and have great relationships with. These are people who should have you on quick dials if a job opens up. This is your first and most important layer of professional networking contacts.

A lot of programs are similar in what they teach you but these subtle points are what makes one program great and another so-so.

Hey Andy, you don't feel comfortable with people from China/India with no work experience? or you don't have great relationships with them?

Hey Andy, you don't feel comfortable with people from China/India with no work experience? or you don't have great relationships with them?
Are you serious?
Many programs are too homogeneous. Just look at the student profiles page of any random program.
Programs would do well to diversify their students pool and make sure they compliment each other. And it starts with making their program attractive to a diversified group of applicants, not relying on one or two large group of applicants with similar profiles.

I agree with Andy. When you take too many students from the same country, they form small communities, don't interact with other students and still speak at the end of the two years they spent in the US a bad English. It is bad for the class and for themselves. If there were too many French people in a class, the problem would be the same. It happens that most international students come from India or China.

From a pool of 16 incoming students in NYU, 9 have names than sound Chinese/Indian, some of them are probably domestic. It looks pretty diversified in comparison to other programs.

Are you serious?
Many programs are too homogeneous. Just look at the student profiles page of any random program.
Programs should do well to diversify their students pool and make sure they compliment each other. And it starts with making their program attractive to a diversified group of applicants, not relying on one or two large group of applicants with similar profiles.

Yes, I agree, we should diversify XX Construction Co. There are 90% Latinos.

Back