• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Anything went wrong with my CMU MSCF Skype interview?

I just interviewed with Rick for the MSCF program this morning. The interview was very very short, lasted only 12 mins. I wondered if this meant I said something wrong, or just because he had another interview right after.
Btw, our scheduled interview was 7:30, but he started at 7:38 and ended at 7:50.

He first asked how I learned about the program and I told him QN, in addition, I have a friend currently enrolled in the program and we had discussed about it.
He went on with career plans, I said my goal was to become a trader, but last year the trading volume slumped, it would be very difficult to find a trading job as a fresh graduates. So a more realistic goal was to start as a risk analyst, and I could accumulate experience and network within the industry so that I could later jump to the trading desk. Then he asked why trader? I said I saw my friends trading for asset management firms and I felt it exciting to be directly playing in the ever-changing market.
Last question was what other programs I applied to, and he didn't even ask me if I preferred CMU over the others.
I finished the interview with two questions, the first was about choice of campus, NYC vs. Pittsburgh; the other was about qualities trading firms look for when they hire traders.
I felt I didn't say anything wrong, but it's just the time... Everyone else said interviews should be about 20mins, while mine was way too short... Kind of worried...

I am not an expert, but I will try to take at shot.

An interview can be short if the interviewer is impressed within the first 5 minutes and he makes up his mind to take that candidate. So do not be worried.

The only thing is: you mentioned trader. The program prepares you to do quant stuff in the industry. On the other hand non quantitative trading requires street smart people with just a BS degree in which case the MSCF degree will not add a lot of value.

But again it's just my own personal view. I would say you still have a pretty good shot at the program.

I am not an expert, but I will try to take at shot.

An interview can be short if the interviewer is impressed within the first 5 minutes and he makes up his mind to take that candidate. So do not be worried.

The only thing is: you mentioned trader. The program prepares you to do quant stuff in the industry. On the other hand non quantitative trading requires street smart people with just a BS degree in which case the MSCF degree will not add a lot of value.

But again it's just my own personal view. I would say you still have a pretty good shot at the program.
Thx inferno, many say that only very few interviewed candidates get rejected in the end. Hopefully I didn't say anything that made Rick feel bad. For the career plan, since I said about trading in my first application essay, I guess I should stick to it in the interview

Props to you for mentioning QN to show that you did some research and not just apply to CMU or any other program randomly.
That said, the answers sound a bit naive and it may show a lack of understanding of the current industry, job market condition, trend, etc.
Starting from risk analyst and then network your way into trading jobs is a very long shot at best. How many people you personally know that did that?
why trader? I said I saw my friends trading for asset management firms and I felt it exciting to be directly playing in the ever-changing market.
This is a very bland answer and doesn't show that you are genuinely interested or passionated about the field at all.
I finished the interview with two questions, the first was about choice of campus, NYC vs. Pittsburgh; the other was about qualities trading firms look for when they hire traders.
The first question is probably been asked too many times so a quick search would answer them. So is the second question. There is nothing specific about CMU that change the answer to it. It's just a very generic question.
There are just way too many information about CMU on this website for you to not know a lot about them already. Questions should be used to show that you did your HW and ask something different.
That's my take. At the very least, you get an interview so it's a 50/50 chance.

Props to you for mentioning QN to show that you did some research and not just apply to CMU or any other program randomly.
That said, the answers sound a bit naive and it may show a lack of understanding of the current industry, job market condition, trend, etc.
Starting from risk analyst and then network your way into trading jobs is a very long shot at best. How many people you personally know that did that?

This is a very bland answer and doesn't show that you are genuinely interested or passionated about the field at all.

The first question is probably been asked too many times so a quick search would answer them. So is the second question. There is nothing specific about CMU that change the answer to it. It's just a very generic question.
There are just way too many information about CMU on this website for you to not know a lot about them already. Questions should be used to show that you did your HW and ask something different.
That's my take. At the very least, you get an interview so it's a 50/50 chance.
Thx to the reply Andy.
The way I said these things were different. For the career part, I said since the Volcker rule was supposed to kick in in the near future, many big banks were shifting away from prop trading and that might potentially harm employment perspectives for trading jobs. Though I will work hard to secure a front office S&T job, in case I cannot, I always need a plan B. I might start with some other roles, like a risk analyst, and try to network into trading desk.
Then for the NYC vs. Pittsburgh campus question, I first stated the pros and cons for each campus as discussed in many posts, and asked him as a fresh graduate, which one would benefit me more, since it's really hard to decide. In addition, I mentioned I've traveled to NYC campus and hopefully can make a tour to Pittsburgh sometime before making a decision.
Does it sound better like this?

at least you had an interview, i haven't received my interview invite... making me very worried...

at least you had an interview, i haven't received my interview invite... making me very worried...
I think you still got time. In the email I received, I was asked to schedule a date before Jan 25th. I think that means the interviewing process is going to last until right before they release the final result. You may just receive an invitation any time~
Good luck~

jus curious, when was your application complete, in the sense when did the recommendation letters and gre scores all go in?

jus curious, when was your application complete, in the sense when did the recommendation letters and gre scores all go in?
My last recommendation was submitted just before Thanksgiving, that's about 10 days after I submitted the application.

Usually, the programs would proceed with those that have their application marked as COMPLETE by their application system, be it Embark, ApplyYourself, etc. It would normally mean that all required documents have been uploaded (essay, resume, transcript, etc), all third party documents received (GRE, official transcript, TOEFL, LoR).

In the past, there have been cases where the applicants don't follow up with the admission people and did not discover that their application was marked INCOMPLETE because some missing paperwork. As a result, they received no communication except for the rejection email/letter.

Don't let that happen to you. Be proactive. Check with the schools to have a confirmation in writing that your application is complete.

Note: Official transcripts are not required to be sent until after you are admitted.

Back