• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Apply for 2008 or wait out?

Hello all. I'm a May 2007 chemical engineering graduate who is currently working in the engineering field, but would like to go into an MFE program in the near future. I have good scholastic credentials, 3.65, 790/560, all As in my math classes. I took a few finance classes in undergrad, and entered last year's IB contest, but did not have enough trades to place. I trade stocks and options in my personal IB account and have written a VB.net program that is successfully doing ETF arbitrage.

I know I should retake the GRE to get that 800, but should I also try and get more relevant work experience also?

MFE programs will always be there for you to apply. If anything, there will be more programs springing up in the future
Getting relevant experience would
1)help getting in a top program
2)give you clear career goal
3)benefit more from the program

Even though I've seen many fresh graduates successfully transfer to the finance industry from an MFE program, I have an impression that those with 1-2 years of relevant working experience benefit the most. They seem to know exactly what they want and can apply the knowledge right away.

But studying while working is always tough.

Back