• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applying for MFE programs

So here is an update following 9 months after graduations after I was on the brink of misery with no work in site but there was the light at the end of the tunnel. I managed to successfully become a C++ software engineer (I want to do a big shoutout with @DanielDuffy for the C++ courses) at interactive brokers(and I am about 3 months into work) . Within 1-2 years work down the line, I want to apply to financial engineering programs. However , my gpa is still low at 3.16 but my GRE is at 336/340. I did my bachelors in mathematics and computer science. I was thinking of taking the math courses at Baruch pre-financial engineering program to be a good refresher for any financial engineering programs Is this a good idea or should I take courses that are for credit. I am a bit of a crossroad because I dont know what to do. The reason why I cant apply right now is because I am paying off my student loan debt and my parents are not financial supporting me anymore.

Last edited:
My personal experience is that Baruch's seminars will be more rigorous and applicable than most courses that you'd take for credit at an extension school. They are not easy. They also use a lot of FE applications (derivative pricing).

My personal experience is that Baruch's seminars will be more rigorous and applicable than most courses that you'd take for credit at an extension school. They are not easy. They also use a lot of FE applications (derivative pricing).
Did you apply for financial engineering programs with these courses? How do you let the universities know that you taken these courses because I thought the courses arent put on transcript.

Did you apply for financial engineering programs with these courses? How do you let the universities know that you taken these courses because I thought the courses arent put on transcript.
There's an additional section to upload certificates of online courses, certifications,etc.