• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Are you readyyyy for some football ?

Andy, for a second, I thought we are talking soccer :)

This coming Saturday we will have Euro 2008 qualifying games and two weeks from today there will be Champions League games. And my team is playing PSV Eindhoven.

Andy, for a second, I thought we are talking soccer :)
i guess you should start a new thread ;)
This coming Saturday we will have Euro 2008 qualifying games and two weeks from today there will be Champions League games. And my team is playing PSV Eindhoven.
My fav team is AC Milan and one of my all time fav player is [WIKIPEDIA]Ronald Koeman
[/WIKIPEDIA]

But again, we are talking about football :D

Touchdown.jpg

Andy, do you follow college football? When I was in Florida, everyone seemed to be so crazy about the UF team. And every time there was a home game, half of the state was attending the game.

One day I'll make an effort to go to a Football stadium :) I don't know the rules, however :)

My Premiership side: Spurs :wall
My NFL team: the Atlanta Falcons :wall:wall

As for who'll win it all this year....
In the NFL, the best team by a fair margin this year is the San Diego Chargers. They were last year, too.

In the Premiership, it's hard to tell since Man U has been several key players short since the start of the season. Liverpool looks excellent, and at the moment I'd say they're most likely to finish at the top of the table.

As I have little knowledge of football, I will defer to other people.

As for soccer, favorite teams would be AC Milan and MUnited. (Among the teams people heard of :) ) Then Real and Barca, but not as much.

I would go with Chelsea to win the Premiership. Else, MU.

Red and Blue Barca has to win this year. Like it just because I was in Barcelona once :)
Chelsea is showing signs of slowing down, Abramovich might want to shift his preference somewhere else :) I like Chelsea only by exclusion, don't have any strong feelings towards any other club.
In Italy, I like AC Milan, and only because Shevchenko played there.

Chelsea is showing signs of slowing down

They only managed a draw at Anfield because the ref handed it to them. If the guys with the whistles closed their ears to Chelsea's incessant whining, there'd be a lot more results like last week's against Aston Villa.

Andy, we have people from all over the world here :) In Russia, Soccer is #1, Hockey #2, Basketball #3 and I like them in that order :)

Soccer and basketball are definitely two of the most popular sports in China too.

I don't follow EPL but I used to like Chelsea until they got Shevchenko (what a lose-lose situation for the clubs and the player himself :wall).

I tried to watch American sports now that I'm here, but I guess the rules for football and baseball are just too complicated for me...:P

btw, it's such a nice thing to see so many ppl like Milan in this forum...hehehe

They only managed a draw at Anfield because the ref handed it to them. If the guys with the whistles closed their ears to Chelsea's incessant whining, there'd be a lot more results like last week's against Aston Villa.

Mourinho is worth the money. He might pull another one off, who knows, although I bet he would rather win the Champions League instead of the Premiership, if given a choice :)

I tried to watch American sports now that I'm here, but I guess the rules for football and baseball are just too complicated for me...:P
You are not alone :)
I didn't get into baseball, basketball or football until 99-00 period when the Knicks, Yankees started their winning streaks. I watched them prior to that but didn't understand the game.

All it takes is someone who sits you through a whole game to explain the rules and after that, you are hooked :D

If you want to learn the rules better, just bet online or through some bookies in Vegas. You'll learn pretty fast losing your own money :cry:

I like football pretty much because of the drama throughout the game. There are so many weird/unexpected things happen around the 2 minutes warning. Upsets happen in other sports too, but not as often.

It's sad that soccer has not caught on in mainstream America. Let's hope Beckham can help
There are a lot of sport bars in the city that you can meet other AC Milan fans during their games. They have live feeds of all the Euro leagues

@Bob
Vick is in the dog house this year, what's the situation with Falcons this year ?

In a word, abysmal.

Over the summer they let their backup QB--Matt Schaub--go to the Texans, where he's now the starter. Then the Vick thing blew up. So now our starter is Joey Harrington, whose stench may have wafted your way if you turned your nose toward Miami last year, or Detroit for several years before that.

Meanwhile, our aging RB Warrick Dunn is recovering from back surgery--no problem; it's not like you get hit there much as a running back in the NFL, right? The backup is Jerious Norwood, a second-year guy who's talented, but has already developed a few lingering injuries--a sure sign that his agent has told him to prepare his cover story. Of course NFL players are always injured to some degree, but you NY football fans may have noticed over the past few years that these same injuries suddenly become debilitating when the team has no hope of making the playoffs. I swear there was one year recently where the whole Giants secondary was out for the year by week 10--a stunning coincidence, surely.

Anyway, the Atlanta receivers are the usual mongrel bunch, with the addition this year of Joe Horn, whom you may recall from a famous cell phone call he made some years ago from the end zone on Monday Night Football. Joe was an excellent receiver in his day, which today is not.

On defense, we had two stars last year. One of them, Patrick Kerney, was injured basically all last season and is now gone--having his back spasms in Seattle this year, I believe. The other--DeAngelo Hall--started last season by proclaiming himself the league's premier "shut-down" corner. His performance last year has hopefully convinced him to become a "shut-up" corner, as he was routinely torched by receivers both good and otherwise. Fortunately for him, the Falcons run defense has been among the worst in the league for the past two seasons, which cuts down on the number of occasions on which he is apt to be embarrassed.

About the only thing that the Falcons have going for them is a good offensive line, but the coach who taught them how to block is now performing that service for the Seahawks, leaving one to wonder how much of their success was scheme, and how much was actual ability. Even if it was the latter, it may not really help, since they may be blocking for the mascot.

So...there: More information than you ever wanted about the fortunes of the Atlanta Falcons.

Bob,
My condolences for the (mis)fortunes of your Falcons. Joey Harrington now is starting QB ? Ouch, Detroits fans still have nightmares of him as starting QB there.

I read couple of people back Vick -infamously Stephan Marbury of the Knicks. Since you hail from Atlanta, is there any merit to the excuse that dog fighting a sport down South ?

All it takes is someone who sits you through a whole game to explain the rules and after that, you are hooked :D

If you want to learn the rules better, just bet online or through some bookies in Vegas. You'll learn pretty fast losing your own money :cry:

I think I will give it a try some time in the future...but I'm sure there are better ways to learn the rules...and better ways to spend/waste my money...hehe:D

Don't think Beckham can make a difference in the U.S. He's not the first famous player to play in the U.S. anyway and heard that he's injured now...

Back