• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Aspiring Quant

I am 16 and looking to start educating myself on Quantitative finance. My maths knowledge is Calculus 1-3, Ordinary Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, I have coding experience in Python. Within the next 2 years I will take Probability and Statistics and PDEs.
Looking at the forums here and other sites like YouTube I find conflicting advise on what you would need to pursue a Quant career.
Would Willmott's book on Quantitative finance or J hull's book on derivatives be considered an industry standard?
I am very lost on where I should go next.

16 (school kid) and you know about PDE and Paul Wilmott?
🙂

for PDE this book is most up to date

Last edited:
I've seen you on this thread quite frequently and it seems like you have a wide range of expertise and are always pushing other to look at subjects from different perspectives. Thanks for the PDEs book I will make sure to look into it. After that what finance book would you recommend?
I am looking into stochastic processes and Calculus from 'Mathematical Method of Finance'.
What other maths courses would you say I should do, Real Analysis?
Would you recommend focusing more on maths for now?

Up to what level should I pursue C++?
From your comment I am assuming you are saying to leave Maths and Finance until later?

Going above and beyond what school requires for me does not mean I cannot have hobbies.

General question but do you find that as you get older things become easier to understand?

General question but do you find that as you get older things become easier to understand?
Yes.
It's people I don't understand.
You are quite precocious for a 16-year old. Are you at a public school.

Last edited:
I am Greek and when I am done with my GCSEs I will spend a great deal of time educating myself on world history and politics.

Ancient Greek mythology has always seemed beautiful to me (also architecture) but I am also interested in the history of great empires and their fall

Back in the day one man used to be a philosopher, mathematician, scientist and theologian. Learning gives me more ways to express my thought and expand my imagination

I must admit talking to you have been exceedingly fun. <—full stop here for you

Back