• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

At a crossroads

So a bit about me, I have about 4 years of work experience under the belt as well as a STEM masters. My first job I worked at an asset manager working on fixed income risk analytics. I did that for two years then switched over to a fintech startup in the Bay Area. Compared to my peers in my group at my level, I make 20% more and have roughly the same WLB. However, I am less excited about the work I'm doing - reason being I enjoy content about the markets more and with institutions, rather than consumer financial services (which is mainly what fintech is about). I'm also thinking about moving to NYC in the next couple of years, and am thinking if I should pivot back to the industry. I am afraid that I am also idolizing the financial industry and second guessing myself on where I see myself in the next 5-10 years.

I'm looking for critique here: do you guys think it's worth pivoting back to a career in investment management? Or should I just try to pivot fully to tech? Here are my thoughts:

• I think financial services/fintech is in an industry where margins are only going to get tighter. I think traditional technology (cloud, ads) have much better margins and longevity. In addition, larger tech companies have much bigger opportunities for higher compensation than say, asset managers. While I may not be engrossed fully in my work, I think job security and pay stability are good tradeoffs.

• I also think that in the technology industry, the top 20% would make more than the top 20% when compared to financial services. However, the top 1-5% of finance make much more than the 1-5% in tech. I have no baseline on how I would truly fare in a more competitive environment (such as a hedge fund).

I realize I'm in a better position than most, but I still wonder if I am missing out on the industry by not working in it. Would you guys think it is prudent to try to work at say, an asset manager again? Or try my hand at hedge funds - what are your guys' outlook on these opportunities? I appreciate any feedback as it would hopefully help bring clarity to my thinking before I set off on future applications.

- asset management is going through a period of tumultuous change. Jeff Bezos' quip (possibly apocryphal) "your margin is my opportunity" is at play as much in AM as in fintech. It's also really hard to provide alpha.
- your problem is misspecified. It's less relevant what the top 20% / top 1-5% make - more relevant what you make. or better said what you could make.
- maybe a more useful problem to look at - what is the kind of thing I could do that I am surprised they pay me to do? Screw finding your passion - that's hooey. Rather, how can you develop skills along a dimension that you are both competent and engaged where you will be in demand? If you do decide to go back into money management, try to choose a company where the investment process makes sense to you and resonates.

Back