• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

B.A Economics. Advices please!

Hi, I’m a third year student major in Economics at the top university in Taiwan.

I want to take a deep dive into financial engineering field and pursue my career as a quant researcher, trader or desk quant.
I have taken classes in Micro and Macroeconomics ,Econometrics, Investment, Statistics, Futures and Options, etc. I have also taken Programming lessons like C++ and Data Structures and Algorithms, etc. I plan to graduate with a minor in Computer Science (I'm planning to defer my graduation for one semester or one year).

In addition, I will also take courses such as Linear algebra, Mathematical analysis, Probability theory etc. In order to build up my fundamental mathematical skills. I'm aslo planning to taking courses like Maching learning, Financial Computing or Financial Econometrics.

However, I have only got average 3.25/4.3 GPA in my first two year. Is it too low to apply for any competitive FE related program?

I’m considering got a master's degree of CS in Taiwan then apply for another FE field master’s degree or PhD in US or Europe. Would it be beneficial? Or it is not too late too maintain my GPA and intern experience in my last two years at school?

I’ve seen a lot of applicants in quantnet share their profile with work experience. Would it be more beneficial to work first and then apply for another degree like MFE or PhD?”

Thanks!

IMO it is a waste of time and money to complete two STEM masters. Get an internship for the summer and see where you end up. If you nail an internship you like, this could lead to a return offer.

In terms of when it is best to do your MFE - no idea. You can always just see what full time offers you have (come graduation) and weigh them against the masters programs you get into. Make the decision when you have your options laid out in front of you.

Back