• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bachelor in Econometrics and Operational research at Erasmus University of Rotterdam in the Netherlands

As title says, I got accepted in Erasmus for Econometrics and operational research, but I was curious if that is a good undergrad to then transition to major in Quant finance in UCL/LCE or something. How hard is it to transition/is it problem that the bachelor programe is only 3 years/ what is your experience with Erasmus if you have any. Thanks.

I did this degree, it is perfectly fine to transition to UK. Top unis (Oxford, Cambridge, ICL, UCL) usually require an 8/10 GPA in their conditional offer. Keep in mind that in order to get that conditional offer you will most likely need at least 8.25/10 during your first two years + some extra-curricular activities (In my knowledge, UK unis care mostly about academic extra-curriculars, and to a lesser extent professional).

Thanks would you like to share some tips how you managed to get in (I suppose you went in UK after the BA correct me if Im wrong)

Sure.
Indeed I will go in the UK this year after my Bachelor. I think most important factor to get into any high-end uni is for you to have good grades, like the ones I mentioned up. Academic extra-curriculars are always a plus as well. I believe other, non-academic extra-curriculars (such as sports, volunteering, etc.) have little to no influence for an application to a European/UK uni, they do however matter more if you are planning on going to the USA. Finally, I suggest spending a good amount of time in writing your mot letter and CV (after all admissions are decided by humans still, so even if someone doesn't care about your writing skills, they will still be affected to some degree if an essay is good/bad). A mistake I used to do for essays was always to use the maximum amount of word count/space, thinking more information is better. That is a wrong strategy to have for uni/job applications, the graders will get bored eventually, make sure to include only important information, having half of the maximum word count is perfectly fine.

Back