• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bachelor thesis - to do or not to do

So, I am currently contemplating writing my bachelor thesis on one of the two subjects below. The problem with those are, that they are originally supposed to be Master thesis subjects and aren’t very easy. I think they are interesting and would be challenging, but I have to keep in mind that my grade might suffer because of this or that the topic is too difficult for me.

Both topics are based on Bakshi, G., Cao, C., and Chen, Z. (1997). Empirical performance of alternative option pricingmodels. Journal of Finance, 52(5):2003-2049.
I wouldn’t have to come up with the math behind both subjects, but I would obviously need to understand it. Then I would need to code it and look at the results.

I am a Bachelor student who can code VBA, and got limited in experience in other languages, but I just haven’t needed them yet.
I had an introductory class to stochastic fundamentals in financial math. We basically covered 3 ways of deriving Black Scholes, including Ito’s Lemma and had some other stuff, but nothing too deep.

If someone could tell me what I should do, it would be helpful.

Here are the two subjects:

Subject 1:

Description:
The goal of this thesis is to analyze the stability of estimated parameters of different stochastic volatility models. The analysis shall be conducted under the risk-neutral measure based on a time-series (or panel) data set of S&P500 index options.
Research questions as "Global vs. local optimizer?", "Impact of different market regimes?", etc. should be addressed in this thesis.

Requirements:
Intermediate programming skills (VBA, Matlab, C/C++ and the like).

I would use VBA, because I am not too familiar with the rest.

Data is available.

Literature:
Bakshi, G., Cao, C., and Chen, Z. (1997). Empirical performance of alternative option pricingmodels. Journal of Finance, 52(5):2003-2049.

Eraker, B., Johannes, M., and Polson, N. (2003). The Impact of Jumps in Volatility and Returns. Journal of Finance, 58(3):1269-1300.

Subject 2:

Description
The goal of this thesis is to analyze the effect of the loss function specification in calibrating option pricing models. The analysis shall be conducted under the risk-neutral measure based on a cross-section (or panel) data set of S&P500 index options.
Research questions as "Calibrating option prices ($) vs. implied volatilities (IV)?", "What are the differences of the loss functions $RMSE, %RMSE and IVRMSE empirically?", etc. should be addressed in this thesis.

Requirements
Intermediate programming skills (VBA, Matlab, C/C++ and the like).

Again, I would use VBA.
Data is available.

Literature:
Bakshi, G., Cao, C., and Chen, Z. (1997). Empirical performance of alternative option pricingmodels. Journal of Finance, 52(5):2003-2049.
Rough, F. D., and Vainberg, G. (2007). Option Pricing Models and Volatility Using Excel-VBA. John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 283-293.

If there are questions, just ask them, I try to answer as soon as possible.

Hey! I am also interested in writing my thesis from quantitative finance field. Could somebody suggest some not very hard (undergrad level) topics in quantitative finance which would require some programming in C++ (cuz I am very eager to learn this programming language). I would very appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Guys #1, start thinking of a thesis advisor you could work with. You need someone to chair your project, correct? Then why work on something that they have absolutely no interest in?? Have you asked any of your professors if they are currently working on anything and if they would like to extend it into a thesis with you?? It's free research for them, think of it.

Unless you're the next Hilbert or Riemann, I would suggest finding an advisor you 1.) like, 2.) can work with, and 3.) does research in the field you are interested in studying.

Dont do something so completely over your head that you have to do SO MUCH background research you don't even get anything done. This is the point of your advisor, he can tell you these things much more quickly.

You should totally do it - it beefens up your resume (something to talk about in interviews), gives you some hands on experience, and shows some initiative - try and get some actual analysis in there, maybe in R or Matlab

Back